Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Webloc File 10823 Error Since Updating To Ventura 13.1

Since updating to Ventura 13.1 my Webloc/URL shortcut files that normally open with Chrome (which is my default browser) have been defaulted to Safari. When I’ve tried right clicking the file and choosing “Get Info” so I can change “Open with” to Chrome it is greyed out along with the “Change All” option

I’ve tried the work around of right clicking the file, choosing “Open With - Other” and selecting Chrome along with “Always Open With” but I end up with an error message:

The item is either locked or damaged, or in a folder you don’t have permission to modify (error code -10823)

I’ve done all of the typical troubleshooting tips for Webloc/1083 errors such as

Restart Mac

Create New Weblog File

Delete Junk Files

Reset Permissions

Check Default Browser In System Settings

None of it works.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 19, 2023 4:56 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 22, 2023 10:41 AM in response to Sb4u7

Hello Sb4u7,

You've taken great steps already. Thanks for doing so. You indicated that you checked the default browser settings, which is definitely needed here. What you are describing sounds like a mismatch there. So please double check that, according to these steps: Make Safari your default web browser on Mac - Apple Support.

If that does not resolve the issue, let's continue by testing to see when this behavior occurs. First, put your Mac into safe mode and test. Booting into safe mode will disable any startup and login items from automatically opening, which can help us to isolate the source of the issue further. When you do this, you’ll see some unusual behavior from the display; this is to be expected. Please follow the steps in this article: How to use safe mode on your Mac. See if you are able to open those shortcuts there.

Next, let's see if this behavior persists in a second user account on your Mac. Please follow these steps to make a test account that can be deleted later: Change Users & Groups settings on Mac.

Also, try deleting one of the shortcuts and recreating it. Does the behavior persist on a newly created one?

Let us know how this goes, please. Thanks and have a fabulous day!

Jan 22, 2023 5:16 PM in response to Gena_D

I’ve already triple checked the browser default settings and created another shortcut as mentioned in my post.

After using safe mode and changing users, the problem still persists.

I also have another MacBook that now has the webloc 10823 error after upgrading to Ventura 13.1.

Hopefully Apple will fix this bug.

Thanks Gena & Dialabrain for your replies

Webloc File 10823 Error Since Updating To Ventura 13.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.