Live location not shown on contacts

We have family sharing, and all location sharing settings have been enabled. My son can see my location under my contact on his iPhone 13 but I can’t see his under his contact on my phone. From previous discussions looks like this happens to more people that iPhone 13 is not sharing the location.. I can see his location on “find my” but it does not appear on his contact… any ideas?

iPhone 13 mini

Posted on Jun 17, 2023 6:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2023 8:25 PM

On your phone, check to make sure that the affected contact’s primary email address matches what they’re using as their primary address. They can find this by opening settings and then tapping on their name in the first card below the search bar. The address displayed beneath their name should be the address you have entered in the “email” field of their contact on your phone.

We tried variations of the other solutions here for a solid hour without luck, but after discovering that my primary email was a non-iCloud address and correcting it, the map again showed in my contact on the other phone.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2023 8:25 PM in response to Henmei

On your phone, check to make sure that the affected contact’s primary email address matches what they’re using as their primary address. They can find this by opening settings and then tapping on their name in the first card below the search bar. The address displayed beneath their name should be the address you have entered in the “email” field of their contact on your phone.

We tried variations of the other solutions here for a solid hour without luck, but after discovering that my primary email was a non-iCloud address and correcting it, the map again showed in my contact on the other phone.

Jun 18, 2023 11:46 AM in response to Henmei

Hello Henmei,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. 

We understand that you are not seeing your contacts location in the Contacts app. We are happy to help.

We’d like to have you stop sharing your location with one of the contacts that you cannot see their location in Contacts. Please have them do the same using the steps here: Find people and share your location with Find My - Apple Support

"Stop sharing with one person

1. Open the Find My app and select the People tab.
  2. Choose the person that you want to stop sharing your location with.
  3. Scroll down and select Stop Sharing My Location."

Then, we want you to restart your iPhone using the steps here: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

"How to restart your iPhone X, 11, 12, 13, or later

1. Press and hold either volume button and the side button until the power-off slider appears.

2. Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off. If your device is frozen or unresponsive, force restart your device.

3. To turn your device back on, press and hold the side button (on the right side of your iPhone) until you see the Apple logo.

How to restart your iPhone 6, 7, 8, or SE (2nd or 3rd generation)

1. Press and hold the side button until the power-off slider appears.

2. Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off. If your device is frozen or unresponsive, force restart your device.

3. To turn your device back on, press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo.

How to restart your iPhone SE (1st generation), 5, or earlier

1. Press and hold the top button until the power-off slider appears.

3. To turn your device back on, press and hold the top button until you see the Apple logo."

After your iPhone has fully restarted, both you and your contact share your location with each other again. Upon doing this, are you able to see the contact’s location in Contacts?

These steps may help. Let us know if you have further questions.

Take care.

Jun 18, 2023 2:03 PM in response to Henmei

Hi Henmei,

To make sure we're on the same page, what do you see instead of his location when you check the Contacts app? Also, to further narrow this down, if you open Messages, open a thread with him and then tap the "i" at the top, do you see his location?

If you haven't yet, updating all related devices to iOS 16.5 could help. We recommend backing up first. Check out this link for guidance: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Kind regards.

Jun 18, 2023 1:56 PM in response to green500

Thanks Less. I have followed the steps you suggested with no luck 😔

I can see his iPhone on “find my” (though not live for some reason) but not on contacts. I set up the contact widget and when I press my sons contact I expect to see his live location on a map since we are both on same family sharing and we both enabled share location with each other. When I press my contact on the contact widget on his phone I can see my location, but it doesn’t work the other way around. Really strange!

Jun 18, 2023 2:16 PM in response to ryane77

Ok, so when I press his thumbnail on the contact widget it opens his “card” with ways to contact him (top row - call, message, email, FaceTime), then messages, photos, files and more and more references.. I do not see the map with his live location as I see my locations on his phone (when he pressed my thumbnail on the contact widget).

however, I tried what you suggested and seems like indeed if I go into the messages app and open the thread with him, if I press his photo/name on the top (couldn’t find “i”) then I do manage to see his location! It is a progress already :) but would be nice to make it work immediately from contacts as it should..

thanks in advance

Aug 29, 2023 3:44 AM in response to Kevvvo

Well.. not entirely, but I did manage to find a work around. In the widget I see the street name only but when I tap to get in there’s no map with live location. In order to see that I go to the messages app, get into the thread with my son and tap his photo (on the top) and then the map with live location is loading. It works well from there but I agree that the widget is flawed.

Jan 15, 2024 10:38 PM in response to Henmei

I’m having this issue right now. We should both be up to date on versions. They have their location services on. No airplane mode. They have a network connection. Theyve shared both in “Find My” and by hitting “Share Location - Indefinitely” through the messages app. I can see their location on find my. I just can’t see their location under their contact when I’m in our message thread and I don’t see the map when I click their name. They screen recorded them going to my contact icon in the message thread and sharing location indefinitely and all it does is send me a bubble map in the thread. When I go to their contact icon from the thread, and then go to their contact card from there, and then edit, and then go back to the contact icon (the contact menu when you click their icon in the message thread), it will briefly show the map and the location under the contact icon for 1 second before disappearing again. Have troubleshooted this to delirium. Help please

Live location not shown on contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.