Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Original HomePod and 2 HomePod Minis will not play together

I just spent over an hour on the phone with Apple support. The problem is I have an original HomePod. I later added another HomePod Mini. They would play together as a set. Or if they didn’t I could tell Siri to play the 2nd one. Then I added a third HomePod mini. Usually no issue. Lately all three of them just randomly stop playing. I can’t handoff either. Sometimes the volume slider in the Apple Music app will not respond on the HomePod and I have to manually adjust the music. I have removed all of them and added them back in. The problem is even worse now. Is there a bug with the latest version of ios16? I can’t even explain how freaking annoying this is!! Once in a while my internet is wonky and goes out but today, all day it was fine and still HomePods are useless!

HomePod

Posted on Jun 17, 2023 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2023 8:16 PM

• I’d still reboot the wifi. Even when you think it’s working in everything else.
  • Restart all the HomePods as well; you can do this in the home app or unplug each one for about 10 seconds.
  • Also close the music app and restart your device.
  • if you want them to play on all HomePods ask Siri to “play everywhere”. Once they can accomplish this (syncing with each other), it might stick for the next time you use it.

Hope this helps.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2023 8:16 PM in response to paddleoar

• I’d still reboot the wifi. Even when you think it’s working in everything else.
  • Restart all the HomePods as well; you can do this in the home app or unplug each one for about 10 seconds.
  • Also close the music app and restart your device.
  • if you want them to play on all HomePods ask Siri to “play everywhere”. Once they can accomplish this (syncing with each other), it might stick for the next time you use it.

Hope this helps.

Jul 17, 2023 1:00 PM in response to paddleoar

I've been having the same issues with my HomePods/HomePods mini. I have a stereo pair of 1st gen HomePods as my default audio output from Apple TV and a HomePod mini in my kitchen and one in my bedroom. Sometimes I can get them all to play at once, but lately I've been having a lot of trouble and haven't been able to get them all to play at once from Apple TV. I can get them all to play together from my iPhone though. After well over an hour on the phone with Apple support and three different agents and multiple resets/restarts, the third guy told me that it wasn't possible to play all of my HomePods at once as they are incompatible with each other. He said that they were engineered that way for some reason that he couldn't tell me. This seems ludicrous to me, but if true, I will certainly think twice before ever purchasing an Apple product again. I'm starting to think that the days of "it just works" are over. Sad!

Original HomePod and 2 HomePod Minis will not play together

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.