Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How to authenticate genuine AirPods?

I bought a pair of AirPod Pros from a phone repair shop that was in my local Walmart they sold them to me for about $175 they work pretty good but why i think there fake is because it says power on some times just like the fake AirPods you would buy from a random shop and it doesn’t make the noises air pods are supposed to make. Like when I connect or disconnect it just makes a random noise and i looked on youtube to see the noises there supposed to make and their way different from the noises my make and randomly they make like a beep noise everytime i move and it gets on my nerves but the settings for the AirPods are just like any other one and it has spatial audio. And the packaging didn’t have that tiny green arrow when your opening it. i don’t know what to do should i ask for a refund?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 18, 2023 5:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2023 11:10 PM

This has gotten far too out of hand!!! The fakes now pass every test that one can find to tell if they’re fakes EXCEPT FOR ONE, The FIRMWARE WILL NOT UPDATE TO THE CURRENT CODE NUMBER. Make sure that if you are buying AirPods at a discounted price that the firmware will update BEFORE YOU BUY THEM. Demand they be taken out of the box and updated before purchase, if they do not update right away? They are fake and you should take legal action like I did.

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2023 11:10 PM in response to Hilariagg

This has gotten far too out of hand!!! The fakes now pass every test that one can find to tell if they’re fakes EXCEPT FOR ONE, The FIRMWARE WILL NOT UPDATE TO THE CURRENT CODE NUMBER. Make sure that if you are buying AirPods at a discounted price that the firmware will update BEFORE YOU BUY THEM. Demand they be taken out of the box and updated before purchase, if they do not update right away? They are fake and you should take legal action like I did.

Jun 18, 2023 5:27 PM in response to Hilariagg

Hilariagg Said:

"Are my AirPods fake?: I bought a pair of AirPod Pros from a phone repair shop that was in my local Walmart[...] i don’t know what to do should i ask for a refund?"

--------

Verify these are Genuine AirPods:

1. Get the Serial Number: Find the Serial Number of your AirPods - Apple Support
  2. Enter the Serial Number here: Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support
  3. View the Results: If all shows up as an AirPod, then you are fine. If not, then these are fake, and you should request a return.

Feb 21, 2024 12:45 PM in response to Martin Bell

Absolutely! I just bought fake ones . Checking the serial number is no longer a warranty. If the box it’s seal the apple logo doesn’t shine like the usual one . It will have a sticker in a corner . If they are open , then is even easier to know if they are real . By checking the power button and circle one . They must be firmed and not feel like they are about to break and light .

Apr 5, 2024 6:16 PM in response to Pachis14

Pachis14 wrote:

I wanna know if my AirPods are fake

If you figure out how to easily and reliably distinguish counterfeit from real, and particularly for those of us located hundreds or thousands of kilometers away, then the folks making the counterfeit devices will undoubtedly work ceaselessly to remediate that difference.

Complicating this real-or-counterfeit determination, a range of fakes is available, ranging from cheap and pretty bad to more expensive and fairly close.

Serial numbers are trivial to copy, and not useful for detecting counterfeit devices. There can be one real device with a given serial number, and myriad fakes.

Here is Adam Savage of Tested reviewing a range of counterfeit devices, for some background:

Probably the most reliable (current) indicators for real AirPods Pro 2nd gen (and AirPods 3rd gen with MagSafe) is working MagSafe charging support in the case, and dynamic head tracking support with AirPods Pro.

What to do? Buy from an authorized reseller, or buy directly from Apple.

Apr 24, 2024 9:05 AM in response to jagtarlohgarh

jagtarlohgarh wrote:

I buy airpods 2nd genration but when i hold it to ear i have problem in my ear like ear pain

Whether AirPods 2nd fit anybody’s particular ears is an individual thing, whether genuine or counterfeit.

Nobody here is going to be able to address the cause of somebody’s reported ear pain, which could range from a problem with the fit in your particular ears, to an allergy to the materials or dermatitis, to trauma, to damaged AirPods.

If they don’t fit, return them to the seller for a refund, if that’s offered.

If you believe the pain warrants it or if the pain persists, see your medical provider.

Mar 22, 2024 12:58 PM in response to ejay264

ejay264 wrote:

check if airpods are real

If you figure out how to easily and reliably distinguish counterfeit from real, and particularly for those of us located hundreds or thousands of kilometers away, then the folks making the counterfeit devices will undoubtedly work ceaselessly to remediate that difference.

Complicating this determination, a range of fakes is available, ranging from cheap and pretty bad to more expensive and fairly close.

Serial numbers are trivial to copy, and not useful for detecting counterfeit devices. There can be one real device with a given serial number, and myriad fakes.

Here is Adam Savage of Tested reviewing a range of counterfeit devices, for some background:

Probably the most reliable (current) indicators for real AirPods Pro 2nd gen (and AirPods 3rd gen with MagSafe) is working MagSafe charging support in the case, and dynamic head tracking support with AirPods Pro.

Apr 3, 2024 7:27 AM in response to oluwakemi160

oluwakemi160 wrote:

How can I check is my AirPod is genuine

Complicating this determination, a range of fakes is available, ranging from cheap and pretty bad to more expensive and fairly close.

How to authenticate genuine AirPods?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.