spreadsheet editing problems

I am trying to edit a spreadsheet stored in the cloud that I created on my prior iPad Pro but nothing happens when I click on a cell. It appears to be locked.

Posted on Jun 18, 2023 5:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2023 7:19 PM

I believe the issue is because you're opening this within iCloud or somewhere else and not within Numbers itself. That isn't the Numbers interface, so what I believe is happening is a PDF sort of version is opening instead of the spreadsheet itself. Which would explain why you cannot edit fields.

Could you try opening the Numbers app, and from there opening this file?

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2023 7:19 PM in response to LimaLarry

I believe the issue is because you're opening this within iCloud or somewhere else and not within Numbers itself. That isn't the Numbers interface, so what I believe is happening is a PDF sort of version is opening instead of the spreadsheet itself. Which would explain why you cannot edit fields.

Could you try opening the Numbers app, and from there opening this file?

Jun 18, 2023 6:06 PM in response to LimaLarry

Hello LimaLarry,

I am sorry you're having trouble with your spreadsheet.

I'm going to assume the document isn't password locked because you've stated you are able to see and click on cells. I'm also going to assume this is Apple Numbers.

1. Click, or highlight, the table in question.
  2. In the top right of Numbers, there should be a Format button (signified by a paintbrush). Tap on this
  3. Tap on Arrange

Here you can lock or unlock tables. If a table is locked, you cannot move or edit the data within the table.

I hope this helps!

Jun 18, 2023 6:24 PM in response to pjswiz

Unfortunately no brush icon appears when selecting the specific sheet in the book.. I tried selecting the entire file, but no edit option appeared either, nothing at the top. All I get are the standard options of “move, copy, duplicate” etc on the bottom of the screen. This file was originally created in Excel and imported into Numbers several years ago. In the past I have had no difficulties editing, but with the new iPad Pro I have run into constant difficulties. Even typing when using Mail and Messages often takes me into a kind of editing mode in which the screen is highlighted with a border (blue in Mail, amber in Messages). Is this a new feature of the iPad?

Jun 18, 2023 7:26 PM in response to pjswiz

You were correct. Once I started with the Numbers app and then went to the file, I had all the functionality I was missing. I never thought of that because in the past I had simply opened the file and worked on it. I guess in having transitioned to my new iPad with files restored from the cloud, the link to Numbers was not there. Now it is.

Thank you for your quick help.

spreadsheet editing problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.