Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

How to make sure my phone doesn’t have a virus

Hello everyone! I was doing some surfing in Safari one night trying to watch SpiderMan Across the Spider-verse, and I get a pop-up saying my IPhone has 19 DIFFERENT VIRUSES. I am seriously scared for my privacy and safety on this phone, as I do not know whether to believe it or not. Some help or reassurance would be nice. Really hoping I don’t have to get rid of this phone.

iPhone 12 mini, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 18, 2023 8:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2023 8:13 PM

The Pop-up, most certainly, was a hoax. It was designed to make you believe that you have viruses on your iPhone and then influence you to purchase useless apps to clean your iPhone.

All about scams and phishing -

Beware of ➔ Phishing & Other Suspicious Emails 

Know how to Identify legitimate emails from the App Store or iTunes Store 

Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts, phony support calls, and other scams ➔  Use these tips to avoid scams and learn what to do if you think your Apple ID has been compromised.

Axel F.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2023 8:13 PM in response to z03_Kool

The Pop-up, most certainly, was a hoax. It was designed to make you believe that you have viruses on your iPhone and then influence you to purchase useless apps to clean your iPhone.

All about scams and phishing -

Beware of ➔ Phishing & Other Suspicious Emails 

Know how to Identify legitimate emails from the App Store or iTunes Store 

Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts, phony support calls, and other scams ➔  Use these tips to avoid scams and learn what to do if you think your Apple ID has been compromised.

Axel F.

Jun 18, 2023 8:23 PM in response to z03_Kool

z03_Kool Said:

"How to make sure my phone doesn’t have a virus: Hello everyone! I was doing some surfing in Safari one night trying to watch SpiderMan Across the Spider-verse, and I get a pop-up saying my IPhone has 19 DIFFERENT VIRUSES. I am seriously scared for my privacy and safety on this phone, as I do not know whether to believe it or not. Some help or reassurance would be nice. Really hoping I don’t have to get rid of this phone."

-------

That is a Scam.

So, report this...Being a scam, report phone calls' and messages' info to Apple and others. Use my User: Using the Photos App to Report Scams - User Tip

Secure your Info:

Device access is if big concern here. So, secure you info by performing the following... (1.)Verify your devices; and then (2.)Modify your credentials; and then (3.)Create a new Apple ID.

1. Verify your Devices:

Verify that all devices are logged in to your account, by using this link: Check your Apple ID Device List to See where you're Signed in - Apple Support

then...

2. Modify your Credentials:

Having been stollen, someone lily has your credentials. So, by all means, modifying them...

then...

3. Create a New Apple ID:

Use a new email address for your Apple Account. Creating anew Apple ID, you are not creating a new Apple Account --you are simply changing the eMail address you use for Apple. You may want to perform this using a computer, as it would be more user-friendly doing so: How to Create a Bew Apple ID - Apple Support

Jun 18, 2023 8:16 PM in response to z03_Kool

You have 32,767 viruses!!!! No, a billion viruses, three trojan horses, two worms, and a penguin!!! Oh, wait, sorry, never mind, I’m lying to you. You don’t have any. None. What you saw was an advertisement. Websites can’t perform a scan. That’s deeply intrusive. If websites could scan, they’d just steal all our data directly. But they can’t. So the advertiser lied. The advertisers have lately been trying to get the unwary to load some rubbish app, an app that badly solves a problem which doesn’t exist anymore, and for a problem you don’t have. Your iPhone is fine.

Lots of scams around. Here’s a sample: Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Jun 18, 2023 8:34 PM in response to TheLittles

TheLittles wrote:

z03_Kool Said:
"How to make sure my phone doesn’t have a virus: Hello everyone! I was doing some surfing in Safari one night trying to watch SpiderMan Across the Spider-verse, and I get a pop-up saying my IPhone has 19 DIFFERENT VIRUSES. I am seriously scared for my privacy and safety on this phone, as I do not know whether to believe it or not. Some help or reassurance would be nice. Really hoping I don’t have to get rid of this phone."
-------

That is a Scam.
So, report this...Being a scam, report phone calls' and messages' info to Apple and others. Use my User: Using the Photos App to Report Scams - User Tip

Secure your Info:
Device access is if big concern here. So, secure you info by performing the following... (1.)Verify your devices; and then (2.)Modify your credentials; and then (3.)Create a new Apple ID.
1. Verify your Devices:
Verify that all devices are logged in to your account, by using this link: Check your Apple ID Device List to See where you're Signed in - Apple Support

then...

2. Modify your Credentials:
Having been stollen, someone lily has your credentials. So, by all means, modifying them...
Modify: your login credentials (Using Both a New eMail and a New Password•  for each and all sites)
Associate: a different method of payment•  to your account
Enable: Two-Factor Authentication for Apple ID•  and for all other accounts that have such an applicable option

then...

3. Create a New Apple ID:
Use a new email address for your Apple Account. Creating anew Apple ID, you are not creating a new Apple Account --you are simply changing the eMail address you use for Apple. You may want to perform this using a computer, as it would be more user-friendly doing so: How to Create a Bew Apple ID - Apple Support

I would discourage following any of this in response to a website “virus scan” pop-up, and do not believe any of this to be necessary or even prudent. Pop-ups cannot access credentials, and do not warrant creating s new Apple ID.

Jun 18, 2023 8:56 PM in response to MrHoffman

mr hoffman Said:

"I would discourage following any of this in response to a website 'virus scan' pop-up, and do not believe any of this to be necessary or even prudent. Pop-ups cannot access credentials, and do not warrant creating s new Apple ID."

-------

To to OP:

A. Did you Provide Information?:

Having interacted with the message, then device and account access is of concern here. If you did not interact with this message, then let everything be.

B. When is the Last Time you Changed you Apple ID?:

Changing your Apple ID, would be wise, if you have not done so recently. I certainly do, but it isn't what I would consider "all that often".

How to make sure my phone doesn’t have a virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.