"on my Mac" email folders

I updated the OS last week and suddenly my MacBook stopped recognising my charger! Long story short, we had to erase and restore the software. When I restored my files from Time Machine however, the "on my Mac" email folders were no longer in mail! Both my gmail accounts and my iCloud accounts are up and working with their folders but the folders I was storing emails in locally have gone. Any ideas how I can get them back? Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jun 19, 2023 5:12 AM

10 replies

Jun 19, 2023 6:58 AM in response to niccifrombasel

What do you see in the Sidebar?

I see, in this order:

Favorites

Smart Mailboxes

On My Mac

(account 1)

(account 2)

(account 3)

(account 4)

Are you saying that your accounts come after Favorites (and perhaps Smart Mailboxes, if you have any), and there is no On My Mac in between?

Here is a screenshot (I twirled each of the sections closed to make it shorter and preserve privacy):

Jun 19, 2023 11:25 AM in response to niccifrombasel

The local mailboxes are located in the Home/User/Library/Mail/V10 folder.

Go into Time Machine, go back in time to just before you erased and restored and recover the V10 folder. When asked to save both or replace I would choose Both. Before launching Mail go thru the V10 folder and see if the On My Mac mailboxes are there. If not go back in time a bit more and try again. Keep you current V10 folder so you'll have any new emails that you got since the erase and restore.

OR save any new emails as Raw message, .emi, for importing once you get the local mailboxes back.

"on my Mac" email folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.