Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Cannot send message using the server MSN

I mistakenly tried to send a message on my Mac from my gmail account using the MSN server. This generated an extensive message headed Cannot send a message using the server MSN.

In order to get rid of this message I need to access alternatives at its foot. But the foot is off the bottom of the screen so I can't access it. The message won't allow me to scroll down. I've forced Mail to quit. I've restarted my Mac. The message keeps reappearing. Any advice would be most welcome.

Steve

MacBook Pro 13″, 11.7

Posted on Jun 19, 2023 9:42 AM

3 replies

Feb 18, 2024 9:31 AM in response to Gardnerlord

I ran into a similar error message. Here are steps I performed to be able to use an MSN server to send out messages.

Open your browser and go to your Microsoft Account (https://account.live.com), create a new application password (Microsoft Account > Security > Additional Security > Create a new app password).

Separately, on your Mac, open the Mail application. Select Mail > Settings. Select your MSN account. Select the Server Settings tab on the main pain. On the lower portion of this screen, you should see an Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) section.

Here are the settings I configured in Mail:

Account: MSN

User Name: your.address@msn.com

Password: enter the application password you just created.

Host Name: smtp.office365.com

Automatically manage connection settings box: unchecked

Port: 587

Use TLS/SSL box: checked

Authentication: Password

I configured the above settings on Sonoma 14.3.1 and Mail version 16.0 (3774.400.31).

Apr 22, 2024 11:40 AM in response to Gardnerlord

I mistakenly tried to send a message on my Mac from my gmail account using the MSN server. This generated an extensive message headed Cannot send a message using the server MSN.

In order to get rid of this message I need to access alternatives at its foot. But the foot is off the bottom of the screen so I can't access it. The message won't allow me to scroll down. I've forced Mail to quit. I've restarted my Mac. The message keeps reappearing. Any advice would be most welcome.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.