Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Two hard-drive management questions.

1) The SSD hard drive of my Mac Mini M1 has 60.02 GB available of 245.11 GB. I recall reading that one should not fill up a hard drive. How much capacity of the hard drive should I leave open before the OS becomes impaired?

2) Of the 184.59 GB used on the hard drive, 92.65 GB is System Data. That is 38% of the hard drive taken up by System Data. Does that sound about right? If it is too high, I am thinking that I could delete some obsolete or unused applications. But then I would have to figure out how to find and remove the various supporting files in the Library. I have succeeded in doing so with some applications but not all.

If it looks as if I am going to run out of room in this Mac Mini, I could plop a new hard drive into an older Mini that is currently in storage. I could use the old Mini as a supplement to the current primary Mac.

Mac mini, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 19, 2023 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2023 1:18 PM

R_55a wrote:

1) The SSD hard drive of my Mac Mini M1 has 60.02 GB available of 245.11 GB. I recall reading that one should not fill up a hard drive. How much capacity of the hard drive should I leave open before the OS becomes impaired?

2) Of the 184.59 GB used on the hard drive, 92.65 GB is System Data. That is 38% of the hard drive taken up by System Data. Does that sound about right? If it is too high, I am thinking that I could delete some obsolete or unused applications. But then I would have to figure out how to find and remove the various supporting files in the Library. I have succeeded in doing so with some applications but not all.

If it looks as if I am going to run out of room in this Mac Mini, I could plop a new hard drive into an older Mini that is currently in storage. I could use the old Mini as a supplement to the current primary Mac.

SSD function most efficiently with 15-20 % free storage at all times.

System data is same as Other data — do general house cleaning

How to free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

User tip: "Other and What Can I Do About It ?"

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how… - Apple Community

you can see the big picture of your storage from the Terminal.app copy and paste:

diskutil list internal

your user data is the < Volume Macintosh HD - Data >

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2023 1:18 PM in response to R_55a

R_55a wrote:

SSD function most efficiently with 15-20 % free storage at all times.

System data is same as Other data — do general house cleaning

How to free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

User tip: "Other and What Can I Do About It ?"

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how… - Apple Community

you can see the big picture of your storage from the Terminal.app copy and paste:

diskutil list internal

your user data is the < Volume Macintosh HD - Data >

Two hard-drive management questions.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.