Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

How to clear iPad Storage?

I got a new iPad for Christmas in 2019, it’s the one I use now, but it has literally no storage and says it’s taken up by apps, even though I only have three apps on my iPad that aren’t offloaded. There is nothing I can do, and I can’t get a new one bc my parents don’t have the money and will just tell me that my iPad still works, and that I don’t need a new one. It’s stupid that my iPad is like this. Is there any way I can clear the storage so I can update it? No. I will eventually NEED a new iPad because it won’t update. Can anyone give me a way to deal with this problem?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 19, 2023 9:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2023 9:51 PM

Did you already check the Storage graph in  Settings/General/iPad Storage, to find out, which data is actually taking that much space?

You might also see some recommendations, how to increase the free space on your device.

In most cases, photos and videos use a lot of the storage space.

Have a look at this related Apple help article:

How to check the storage on your iPhone and iPad - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2023 9:51 PM in response to MarcyWu_except_she_got_stabbed

Did you already check the Storage graph in  Settings/General/iPad Storage, to find out, which data is actually taking that much space?

You might also see some recommendations, how to increase the free space on your device.

In most cases, photos and videos use a lot of the storage space.

Have a look at this related Apple help article:

How to check the storage on your iPhone and iPad - Apple Support

Jun 20, 2023 6:41 AM in response to MarcyWu_except_she_got_stabbed

It is impossible to increase the amount of RAM or internal storage in your iPad - as this is fixed during manufacture; what you have is fixed for the life of your device. You can, however, subscribe to a higher tier of iCloud storage - but this is not a substitute for internal storage.

Upgrade to iCloud+ - Apple Support

If your internal storage is full, your only option is to better manage the storage that you have - and delete unused Apps or unneeded data. 

These support pages may prove to be helpful:

About storage on your device and in iCloud – Apple Support

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? – Apple Support

Manage your iCloud storage – Apple Support

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

Clear Other storage on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

“Offloading” Apps can be a helpful method of creating temporary space for a software update.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/01/21/how-to-offload-apps-in-ios-to-save-space-without-deleting-their-data/

Additional information about creating sufficient space for installation of a software update can be found here:

If you need more space for an update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Updating your iPad using a Windows PC or Mac computer can reduce the amount of free-space necessary to perform the update - as the initial download, unpacking and verification is performed on the computer prior to installation. However, even this method is not possible if your iPad has too little free space.

Download and use iTunes for Windows – Apple Support

Update to the latest version of iTunes – Apple Support

Update software on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch in iTunes on PC - Apple Support

External storage options can often help with managing limited internal storage. Depending upon your iPad model, the iPad will either have a Lightning or USB-C port - and may therefore require either an Adapter or USB hub to connect the USB Storage device. If your iPad has a Lightning port, you’ll need an Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter:

• Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MK0W2ZM/A

How to clear iPad Storage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.