Do I need a DAC with the new Apple Mac Mini?

I am thinking of getting an Apple Mac mini, but I love music and wonder if the mac mini will be able to play Hi res lossless without an extra DAC?

Thank you for helping me out....

Posted on Jun 19, 2023 9:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 3:28 AM

Yes, see About lossless audio in Apple Music - Apple Support

Similar questions

6 replies

Jun 20, 2023 1:00 AM in response to Anirym

No, you don't need a DAC. The Mini has a 3.5mm headphone jack, which implies that it has a DAC built in.

Mac mini (2023) - Technical Specifications

Apple does not specify the sampling rates and bit depths that the built-in DAC supports. There is a program called Audio Midi Setup in the Application / Utilities folder – at least on my ancient iMac, running High Sierra – that Apple supplies with macOS. It has configuration options for built-in and third-party audio devices. On my Mac, it has choices for 16-, 20-, and 24-bit stereo at sampling rates of 44.1, 48, 88.2, and 96 KHz.

I don't know how accurate the 24-bit setting would be … but this tells me by process of elimination that the built-in audio on this machine won't do, say, 192 KHz, or 5.1-channel surround sound.

If there is a retall store near you with the the new Minis, you could run this program on them (just look at settings; don't change them), and see what comes up. As a starting point, anyway. If you really want to know all there is to know about the Mini's DAC, I think you're going to have to ask Apple – and hope the support people know and will tell you.

The other possibility would to be to get some sort of external DAC.

Jun 19, 2023 9:11 PM in response to Anirym

Anirym Said:

"Do I need a DAC with the new Apple Mac Mini?: I am thinking of getting an Apple Mac mini, but I love music and wonder if the mac mini will be able to play Hi res lossless without an extra DAC? Thank you for helping me out...."

-------

Audio Requirements:

No. But, if you want some sort of auto output, then get something with high bass and treble for music and movies. And, if you plan to take part in conference calls, then you'll need something with a Mac on it. Beats or AirPods will work just fine swell.

Do I need a DAC with the new Apple Mac Mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.