Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Macbook Pro cannot connect to old home projector

I have an old home projector made by Epson. I connected it to my 2020 Macbook Pro using an RCA3 converter to HDMI then into a Plugable adapter through USB C. The projector lens cap was removed and everything running fine but it would not pick up the video from my Mac in any of the video settings. Any advice, aside from getting a new projector, would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 3:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 10:23 AM

Kyotochax wrote:

I have an old home projector made by Epson. I connected it to my 2020 Macbook Pro using an RCA3 converter to HDMI then into a Plugable adapter through USB C. The projector lens cap was removed and everything running fine but it would not pick up the video from my Mac in any of the video settings.

Any advice, aside from getting a new projector, would be appreciated.

for your third party device—

if in doubt search the developers website or contact their: Support/Help/FAQ/Known issues/compatibility/updates

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

ref:

Epson Projector Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2023 10:23 AM in response to Kyotochax

Kyotochax wrote:

I have an old home projector made by Epson. I connected it to my 2020 Macbook Pro using an RCA3 converter to HDMI then into a Plugable adapter through USB C. The projector lens cap was removed and everything running fine but it would not pick up the video from my Mac in any of the video settings.

Any advice, aside from getting a new projector, would be appreciated.

for your third party device—

if in doubt search the developers website or contact their: Support/Help/FAQ/Known issues/compatibility/updates

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

ref:

Epson Projector Support

Jun 24, 2023 7:15 AM in response to Kyotochax

In general, you can not "stack" display adapters, because a lot of the 'Magic' is done at the Mac connector, and is not available at the next converter junction.

in general, you must make the conversion directly from Mac output to display input in at most ONE adapter.

3 RCA jacks, one yellow is composite-Video, Red and White are Right and wLeft audio (the w is silent).

Th other possibility is Red is Red, Green is Green, and Blue is Blue, typically accompanied by one or two more that are sync. This is COMPONENT Video aka 'Analog VGA' split into separte plugs and is easier to accommodate.

are you quite certain your projector has NO more modern Video inputs? Composite-Video is a dinosaur, and hard to come by.

Macbook Pro cannot connect to old home projector

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.