Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Error message “The recovery server could not be contacted”

I tried to delete everything on my macbook and reinstall the system so i can give it to my sister like new.

But now I have an error message “The recovery server could not be contacted”

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook (2017)

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 6:39 AM

3 replies

Jun 21, 2023 8:04 AM in response to titiriga

It really helps to know the exact model of the Mac which you can get by entering the system serial number here:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

It also helps to know the OS that was last used as well as the OS about to be installed.

Many times this error may be due to the installer's certificate being expired. If this is the case, then changing the system date to 2017 should allow the installer to work. Launch the Terminal app from the Utilities menu on the menu bar and use the following command to set the system date & time to Jan. 2, 2017 @ 11:33am:

date  -u  010211332017

If there are no errors, then quit the Terminal and select "Reinstall macOS". If the installer is for a really old OS, then you may need to set the date to 2015, or perhaps even earlier.

Error message “The recovery server could not be contacted”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.