Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

The recovery server could not be contacted

I was trying to reset my MacBook Pro but continue to run into this message when trying to install macOS High Sierra.

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on May 29, 2023 3:19 PM

7 replies

Aug 31, 2023 6:29 AM in response to twanamirza

I have noticed the same issue before too and I tried a different network (home vs work network) and the recovery worked. I even did a recovery over cellular hotspot once before.

Another method could be to create a recovery USB on another Mac to use on this one.

Here is the support page from Apple:

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support (CA)

You may need to change a security setting first for it to boot from USB though:

About Startup Security Utility on a Mac with the Apple T2 Security Chip - Apple Support

Mar 20, 2024 6:19 PM in response to lilcowboy

If the Apple company had used servers from *** then this issue might not have occurred. (😅 joke, I just work in this company and the level of servers and their protection is really high. Apple, do you need servers?)

🥸 However, in a more serious tone, the suggested solution is to use the command-option-shift-R combination at startup to initiate internet recovery, which will restore the macOS (I lo❤️‍🔥e this OS!) version that originally shipped with your Mac. Additionally, if you have access to a USB-C to ethernet adapter and can connect directly to your modem, you can avoid potential issues with WiFi during the setup process.

[Edited by Moderator] 

Aug 30, 2023 8:54 AM in response to twanamirza

Just to let you know, you aren't alone. We as end users are puzzled as to why there has been no communication as to the status of these issues, and have shared this in the private forum with the moderators. You are welcome to call AppleCare to try to get to the bottom of this. As end users we are only volunteers trying to help.

The recovery server could not be contacted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.