Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Required Managed Update

Above notification informs me a scheduled update will automatically install tonight. Same message for the last 3 weeks, but the update does not install. System settings say my software is up to date; I understand that is different than a managed update. My iMac is connected to power and the auto-update setting is on. Please advise. Thanks. Rick

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 10:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 2:45 PM

Unfortunately, this did NOT work for me! :( I've tried this 5 times now and no luck. iMac desktop. Everything is UTD. Super annoying.

I find it interesting that it says I need 50% battery power for it to install. This is not a laptop, nor a mobile device. Desktop is plugged in and always has enough power, of course. So, it seems to me that this error is a rogue one, and isn't meant for a desktop??? Unsure.

I've also prevented the computer and desktop from sleeping throughout the night, and nothing ever happens.

Crossing fingers that someone fixes this wonky thing.

47 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2023 2:45 PM in response to ron523

Unfortunately, this did NOT work for me! :( I've tried this 5 times now and no luck. iMac desktop. Everything is UTD. Super annoying.

I find it interesting that it says I need 50% battery power for it to install. This is not a laptop, nor a mobile device. Desktop is plugged in and always has enough power, of course. So, it seems to me that this error is a rogue one, and isn't meant for a desktop??? Unsure.

I've also prevented the computer and desktop from sleeping throughout the night, and nothing ever happens.

Crossing fingers that someone fixes this wonky thing.

Jul 31, 2023 3:20 AM in response to mjg_917

Thanks for this. I tried this and YES, it works! I think it's the answer to this annoying problem .... This is the procedure I followed ...

1. Save a backup copy of /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist on the Desktop or somewhere else in case you need to reinstate it (I didn't need it, but a good precaution)
  2. Delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist
  3. Reboot computer
  4. Go to System Settings/General/Software Update and select your preferred method for regular updates

Now, the annoying message which was coming every day is no longer there and everything seems fine. I did this a few days ago and have used the computer a lot since and there don't seem to be any problems and the message no longer appears.

Jul 28, 2023 1:46 PM in response to RDNetty

I've been in touch with apple support over the past few weeks about this issue, and they don't seem to have a clear take on what's causing it or how to solve it.

I have a MacBook Air with Intel hardware and their latest suggestion was to reset the NVRAM (if I sound like I know what I'm talking about, I don't -- I'm just repeating the instructions they gave me 😂.) I've just done that, and I am waiting to see if it helps, but based on how many people appear to be dealing with this issue, I'm guessing it may not.

Meantime, in poking around online, I discovered this possible fix:

https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-pro/required-managed-update-daily-notification/td-p/276476

I posted it a week or so ago in another thread on this same subject, asking if anyone with some familiarity with apple code might weigh in on whether or not it makes sense and is safe to try.

No one there piped up, but if anyone here has some expertise and might offer insight -- that would be great!

"Required managed update notification" - Apple Community

Oct 13, 2023 4:35 AM in response to Kinoav8r

The fix seems to work for some folks but not for others. I deleted the plist file, made absolutely certain it was deleted then shut down the system (since I was going to be out of town for a couple of days). The day after coming back home, I had the message waiting for me again at login. Yesterday, no message. This morning, the message was back. There was an update pending for the Slack app, so I've updated that. There were no pending OS updates; automatic updates are turned on, deleted the plist file again (4th time now), and will reboot after posting this message. Not holding my breath that this works at this point.

Jun 26, 2023 11:10 AM in response to Old Toad

So, then, this "Required managed update", that's been popping up for a few weeks, is valid.

When I check "Software Update" I see that "macOS Ventura 13.4.1 (22F82) | Last checked: today at 11:05 AM | Your Mac is up to date"

What is the difference between a "Required managed update" and an automatic software update?

Jun 22, 2023 9:23 AM in response to RDNetty

RDNetty wrote:

Old Toad, you will have to help this neophyte. The computer is left on all night, but the Lock Screen choices kick in after 20 minutes. After the screen saver begins or the display is turned off a password is required for access. Is that what you are referring to? Rick

Just make sure this option is IS TURNED ON:

Jul 5, 2023 4:18 AM in response to RDNetty

Same message,

Required managed update

“An update is scheduled to automatically install tonight.  This update requires at least 50% battery or connection to a power source.  Your computer will restart to perform the update.  No deferrals remaining.”

When I check, I'm up-to-date:

>  Software Update

Automatic updates … On

macOS Ventura 13.4.1 (22F82)

Last checked:  Today at 10:15 AM

Your Mac is up to date

And … nothing installs overnight night.

Required Managed Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.