Coming soon: Apple Event on 9/9 at 10 a.m. PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to detect Flash drive on my iPhone XR

Flash drive is not detected on my iPhone XR. Restarting phone, enable accessories steps completed but still problem persist. It works seamlessly with my iPad. Please help.IOS is 16.5

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 10:57 AM

7 replies

Jun 21, 2023 1:36 PM in response to Nileshivaya

Hello Nileshivaya,

Here are instructions for connecting an external storage device to your iPhone. Please take note about the formatting requirements stated in step 3:

"Connect a USB drive or an SD card reader

1. Attach the USB drive or SD card reader to the charging port on your iPhone using a compatible connector or adapter.
  2. You may need the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter, or Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader (all sold separately).
  3. Note: An external storage device must have only a single data partition, and it must be formatted as APFS, APFS (encrypted), macOS Extended (HFS+), exFAT (FAT64), FAT32, or FAT. To change the formatting of a storage device, use a Mac or PC.
  4. Do any of the following:
  • Insert an SD memory card into a card reader: Don’t force the card into the slot on the reader; it fits only one way.
    • Note: You can import photos and videos from the memory card directly to the Photos app. See Import photos and videos on iPhone.
    • View the contents of the drive or memory card: In a supported app (for example, Files), tap Browse at the bottom of the screen, then tap the name of the device below Locations. If you don’t see Locations, tap Browse again at the bottom of the screen.
    • Disconnect the drive or card reader: Remove it from the charging port on iPhone.

Note: The Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter can be powered with a USB power adapter. This allows you to connect USB devices with higher power requirements, such as external hard drives, to iPhone."

Connect external storage devices to iPhone - Apple Support

Regards.

Unable to detect Flash drive on my iPhone XR

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.