Screen dimming when watching videos

hi Apple community,

is anyone else’s screen dimming when watching videos? I have an iPhone 14 and have been experiencing videos automatically going dim or black blank on the screen whilst I’m watching the video - like a fading going dark.

I have googled it and read a lot but all the answers keep saying ‘automatic brightness is on’. I never have my brightness on auto & the issue still happens, even when I’m not changing lighting environments.

This is really stressing me out as it’s happening quiet often- anyone know what I can do? Thanks!!x

iPhone 14

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 5:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2023 8:57 PM

Hi harp5k,

I'm happy to announce that I'm almost certain I have the exact answer to your question -- because I too had what appears to be the same problem, and I just solved it.

Here's what I did (and what I recommend you do):

1. Go to Settings > Accessibility.
    2. Now, here's the trick: go to the Motion tab (option).
    3. (If I'm correct) Your setting "Dim Flashing Lights" will be ON: if so, turn it off.
    4. Re-test the clip that was earlier dimming or going dark.

Lemme know if that works for you! I spent a few weeks trying to figure it out until I finally came upon this solution, which worked for me.

Good luck!

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2023 8:57 PM in response to harp5k

Hi harp5k,

I'm happy to announce that I'm almost certain I have the exact answer to your question -- because I too had what appears to be the same problem, and I just solved it.

3. (If I'm correct) Your setting "Dim Flashing Lights" will be ON: if so, turn it off.

Lemme know if that works for you! I spent a few weeks trying to figure it out until I finally came upon this solution, which worked for me.

Good luck!

Jul 28, 2023 8:58 PM in response to statician

Hi harp5k,

Good luck!

Jun 21, 2023 5:31 PM in response to harp5k

Hello harp5k,

We have some suggestions on things to try with the issue you mentioned that your iPhone screen is dimming while watching videos. You mentioned already checking the Auto-Brightness setting, so we'll skip that.

1. Restart your iPhone
  2. Update your iOS to the latest version: Update your iPhone or iPad
  3. Test in another video or streaming app.
  4. Check for app updates: How to manually update apps on your Apple device
  5. Delete the app being used, then reinstall it: Delete apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Reply back with how it goes.

Best regards.

Screen dimming when watching videos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.