Dropped wifi connection

My MacBook Pro has recently started dropping my home wifi network periodically. Not while I am using it but if I leave it and/or put it to sleep it loses the connection and doesn't remember the password. This doesn't happen with my iPad and iPhone. Any thoughts? Hardware issue or a setting?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 5:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 5:49 PM

When your Mac sleeps for a substantial time, it must drop the wifi connection because its DHCP lease on that local IP address might expire while sleeping, and if it uses it again when it wakes up, it could already have been assigned to another device.

Usually, it reconnects so fast you never notice.

While connected, look on this pane for the checkbox, [_] Automatically join this network

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2023 5:49 PM in response to sedgewren2

When your Mac sleeps for a substantial time, it must drop the wifi connection because its DHCP lease on that local IP address might expire while sleeping, and if it uses it again when it wakes up, it could already have been assigned to another device.

Usually, it reconnects so fast you never notice.

While connected, look on this pane for the checkbox, [_] Automatically join this network

Dropped wifi connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.