Came here to find out why my Mac doesn't remember my WIFI password

My Mac intermittently fails to remember my main WiFi password. I believe, but am not certain, that this became a problem when my ISP moved to IPV6. But that could be when I first noticed it.

I cannot seem to remove my selection of the device, but it happens with both of my Mac minis, my iPad (but not as frequently) and my iPhone as well.

It's a very annoying bug.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 14, 2023 10:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2023 1:40 PM

This didn’t seem to make sense, but I tried it anyway and it had no effect whatsoever. But thank you for trying to help me. A few days ago I discovered that if I turn off WiFi on my Mac and toggle it on and off in quick succession then it will catch remember it after a few times. I continue to be disappointed with Apple quality assurance and am beginning a slow migration back to Microsoft Windows. First steps will be to move to cross platform file systems, password managers. Steve Jobs didn’t accept this and without him it seems as if nobody cares about getting these things right.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2023 1:40 PM in response to BDAqua

This didn’t seem to make sense, but I tried it anyway and it had no effect whatsoever. But thank you for trying to help me. A few days ago I discovered that if I turn off WiFi on my Mac and toggle it on and off in quick succession then it will catch remember it after a few times. I continue to be disappointed with Apple quality assurance and am beginning a slow migration back to Microsoft Windows. First steps will be to move to cross platform file systems, password managers. Steve Jobs didn’t accept this and without him it seems as if nobody cares about getting these things right.

Jun 14, 2023 2:07 PM in response to TakomaFan

On the Macs...

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Sys Prefs>Network>highlight the Interface you're using>Advanced>TCP/IP>Configure IPv4: Using DHCP.

If using Wifi, instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

System Preferences>Network>choose interface>Advanced>Proxies Tab, make sure none are set, like for HTTP & HTTPS.

System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Apply.

Came here to find out why my Mac doesn't remember my WIFI password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.