Apple Music

I stream Apple Music from my iPhone XS to a Yamaha AVR HDMI input port using an Apple lightening to hdmi converter. The digital input reads “PCM” on the Yamaha. My onboard ESS DAC is capable of sampling up to 192 KHz. With an Apple streamed sample rate of say 96 KHz as in Michael Jackson’s Billie Jean is Apple streaming this sample rate through to that Yamaha HDMI input port ? Further, with same set up is Apple’s Dolby ATMOS being streamed through to my HDMI input port on ATMOS encoded streams such as Pink Floyd’s ‘ 50th remaster ‘assuming Atmos is enabled on my iPhone XS and ATMOS is supported on my Yamaha ? If not, why not ?

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 11:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2023 2:16 AM

There are only a few Apple devices that support Dolby Atmos directly.

copied from: About Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos in Apple Music - Apple Support

You may be able to do that by connecting an Apple TV 4K to your receiver:

Set up Dolby Atmos or surround sound on Apple TV with a sound bar or AV receiver - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2023 2:16 AM in response to mjmone

There are only a few Apple devices that support Dolby Atmos directly.

copied from: About Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos in Apple Music - Apple Support

You may be able to do that by connecting an Apple TV 4K to your receiver:

Set up Dolby Atmos or surround sound on Apple TV with a sound bar or AV receiver - Apple Support

Jun 21, 2023 3:50 AM in response to mjmone

I thought this article might help, but it doesn't say anything about the Apple Lightning to HDMI converter.

About lossless audio in Apple Music - Apple Support

There is an Apple Community thread that may be of interest. As far as I know, neither the post about the limits of the Lightning to HDMI converter, or the post about the possibility of using a USB DAC, are based on official specs. Take that for whatever it's worth.

Apple Lossless Music to Stereo Receiver - Apple Community

You may have to do some Internet searches to find posts by people who have tried different connection methods (using external gear capable of displaying the bit depth and sampling rate).

Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.