iPad Pro 10.5 inch not screen mirroring with Apple TV

My iPad Pro 10.5 inch model A1709 (iPadOS 16.5) would not do screen mirroring with Apple TV (tvOS 16.5).

It would connect to the Apple TV OK, but the TV screen went blank black after connection.

Strangely it would Airplay movies OK from the Apple TV App. And my iPhone 11 and MacBook would both do screen mirroring just fine. So it was fairly clear it was a problem with the iPad.

After hours spent with Apple support, trying many different solutions, nothing worked until a support consultant suggested:

• Backup & sync iPad to MacBook
  • Factory reset iPad
  • Restore from backup

This fixed the very frustrating problem. Hooray.

Clearly the iPad had been through a long history of Beta testing of Apps, OS upgrades and much more, so the clean out to factory reset was the way to go.

Great support from the Apple support consultants.

iPad Pro (1st generation)

Posted on Jun 21, 2023 3:05 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Aug 17, 2023 8:37 PM in response to beeeeej

Today I had same problem again:

"My iPad Pro 10.5 inch model A1709 (iPadOS 16.5) would not do screen mirroring with Apple TV (tvOS 16.5).

It would connect to the Apple TV OK, but the TV screen went blank black after connection.

Strangely it would Airplay movies OK from the Apple TV App. And my iPhone 11 and MacBook would both do screen mirroring just fine."

In desperation I double-checked the Airplay settings on the Apple tvOS:

Select AirPlay and HomeKit, then do any of the following:

• Allow access to Apple TV: Select Allow Access, then see “Set who can use AirPlay to stream content to Apple TV” below.

Previously it was set to Everyone, thinking that was the best catchall. But today I changed it to "Anyone on same network" and bingo the Screen Mirroring came to life instantly! Slightly weird!

Aug 17, 2023 10:14 PM in response to beeeeej

I understand that you were having an issue with screen mirroring your iPad Pro 10.5 inch to your Apple TV. You tried a few different solutions, but nothing worked until you factory reset your iPad and restored it from a backup.

I'm glad that you were able to resolve the issue and that you were happy with the support you received from Apple.

Here are some other things you can try to fix the screen mirroring issue:

• Make sure that your devices are updated to the latest software.
  • Restart your devices.
  • Check your WiFi connection.
  • Try screen mirroring to a different device.
  • Disable and then re-enable AirPlay.
  • Relaunch the app you are trying to screen mirror.

If you are still having trouble, you can contact Apple support for further assistance.

iPad Pro 10.5 inch not screen mirroring with Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.