Can I use magsafe 3 to connect my macbook air m2 13 to an external display

1. Macbook air m2 13"
  2. Magsafe 3 to usb-c cable.
  3. Samsung screen with usb-c support.

Can I connect (1) & (3) using (2)?

My current setup is via (4) USB-C to USB-C cable.

Posted on Jun 22, 2023 4:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2023 4:07 AM

The MagSafe connection has no capability to output video. It is strictly a power-in connection. While it may work to charge the Mac, if the monitor provides power out, I’m not certain what you hope to accomplish.

3 replies

Jun 22, 2023 4:32 AM in response to stedman1

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Yes, the monitor has a built in hub with power delivery.

So I'm aiming to replace the "usb-c to usb-c" cable with the "Magsafe 3 to usb-c" cable such that the connection remains via a single cable. Then I would use that same cable to also connect the Mackbook Air to the charger as needed.

Doing so will eliminate the need for 2 cables, while enjoying the charging speed of the magsafe 3 charging whenever needed.

Jun 22, 2023 5:20 AM in response to Ahmed F. El Sawaf

Ahmed F. El Sawaf wrote:

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Yes, the monitor has a built in hub with power delivery.

So I'm aiming to replace the "usb-c to usb-c" cable with the "Magsafe 3 to usb-c" cable such that the connection remains via a single cable. Then I would use that same cable to also connect the Mackbook Air to the charger as needed.

Doing so will eliminate the need for 2 cables, while enjoying the charging speed of the magsafe 3 charging whenever needed.

No, that won't work. If your monitor has a USB-C port that supports DisplayPort Alt Mode input, USB Power Delivery back to the laptop, and USB data connectivity, then a high-quality USB-C to USB-C cable is all that you'd need for a single-cable connection between the laptop and the monitor.

I don't know if taking your USB-C to MagSafe 3 cable, plugging the USB-C end into the monitor, and plugging the MagSafe 3 end into your computer, would work to carry charging power. It might. It would not carry video data or USB data to your monitor. Your screen would remain blank or would put up whatever "No signal" error message the monitor might be designed to display when there is no signal.

Can I use magsafe 3 to connect my macbook air m2 13 to an external display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.