Can I connect the USB port on my MacBook Air to an external display?

Can i connect the usb port on my Monterey Macbok air to the usb port on an external display

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Apr 17, 2024 7:58 PM

7 replies

Apr 18, 2024 1:30 PM in response to jlkipe

jlkipe wrote:

I should have been more specific. I have 2 usb type a , like you would plug a dongle for a mouse or keyboard. It also has a lightning 2 port.

[EDITED to remove incorrect reference to Early 2014 MacBook Air – which only has a Thunderbolt 1 port.]

USB-A ports don't carry video signals. Also, as far as I know, there is no such thing as a Lightning 2 port – or a MacBook Air with any type of Lightning port. Perhaps you meant a Thunderbolt 2 port.

A MacBook Air with two USB-A ports and a Thunderbolt 2 port could be from Early 2015 or from 2017. The Thunderbolt 2 port could double as a Mini DisplayPort. It could drive a display with a resolution of up to 3840x2160 pixels.

You may want to verify which MacBook Air you have by selecting About This Mac from the Apple () menu.

Apr 18, 2024 3:41 PM in response to jlkipe

“The item you shared requires iOS 10.9 mine is only 10.7.

I even tried a j5 model just 258 which requires iOS 10.8 and it wouldn’t work “

———-

Adapter for macOS 7:

Your device pertaining in your original post reads “macOS 12.7”. So, if that is not the case then state otherwise. Aside from J5, you can find something by Samsonite or Targus. Look on Amazon for such adapters. eBay may be the place for ancient devices. Excellent work looking up compatibility.

Apr 17, 2024 8:46 PM in response to jlkipe

jlkipe Said:

"Can I connect the USB port on my MacBook Air to an external display?: Can i connect the usb port on my Monterey Macbok air to the usb port on an external display"

-------

Connecting USB from Apple-to-External Display:

I guess if your monitor supports it, sure why not. If you are asking about an adapter, then this may be the one for you: Belkin USB-C to HDMI Adapter - Education - Apple

Apr 18, 2024 5:16 PM in response to jlkipe

jlkipe wrote:

The item you shared requires iOS 10.9 mine is only 10.7.
I even tried a j5 model just 258 which requires iOS 10.8 and it wouldn’t work

Mac OS X 10.7 would be Lion. Mac OS X 10.9 would be Mavericks. Neither of those would make sense in combination with what you said before about your Mac having two USB-A ports and a "Lightning" (sic) "2" port. The 2015 and 2017 MacBook Airs that have those ports can't run Lion or Mavericks.

Please go into the About This Mac dialog in the Apple () menu and tell us what it says there about your model and hardware release year / time of year. E.g.,

• MacBook Air
  • MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2012)
  • MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017)

That will help us determine what external display your MacBook Air natively has, and also to what extent you can upgrade Mac OS X / macOS.

Apr 18, 2024 12:27 PM in response to jlkipe

jlkipe Said:

"Can I connect the USB port on my MacBook Air to an external display?: I should have been more specific. I have 2 usb type a , like you would plug a dongle for a mouse or keyboard. It also has a lightning 2 port.

———-

Thank you fro the follow reply.

USB-A to HDMI:

What connector is on your external display? If HDMI (something in today’s market), then this is the adapter you’d need, connecting a cable to it, and then into your External Display on the other end. Search for HDI as the Input Source: USB to HDMI Multi-Monitor Adapter – j5create

Can I connect the USB port on my MacBook Air to an external display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.