Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

MacBook Air with Ventura 13.4.1 not supporting Docking station and external monitor

Hello, I just bought a Macbook Air. when I connect it to my Targus docking station, it does not detect the external monitor. I also have a Macbook Pro which works fine with same docking station. I have contacted apple support and they said since it is not Apple docking station, they cannot help me on that. So I took another docking station, which is from HP and same result. I did the basic troubleshoot by removing and re-adding the station, powering it down, but same result. I was wondering if someone can help me with this. Thank you

**it has 2 USB-c, no HDMI port, so I have no other choice of ports to test with.

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 22, 2023 9:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2023 4:02 PM

I had the same issue with my new MAC- unable to detect the monitors. I am using a Targus Dock180 and it was working fine in my old MAC Pro, but I had a hard time in my new MAC. I installed the drivers for the Targus but still not able to detect the monitors. I did two things:

1.- Enable screen recording. You will find this option under Privacy and Security - Screen Recording. You must have enable this option for DisplayLink Manager

2.- Active the DisplayLink Manager. My new MAC Pro did not have enable the DisplayLink Manager. If you review the icons in the upper right, you should see an icon that has like two overlapping rectangles. I did not have them, I launch DisplayLink Manager and the display were immediately detected. For best practice you might want to enable in the DisplayLink Manager the option "Launch automatically after login".

Those two things helped me to have the Targus USB-C Universal DV4K Docking Station with 60W Power Delivery (DOCK180USZ) up and running.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2023 4:02 PM in response to shamimny07

I had the same issue with my new MAC- unable to detect the monitors. I am using a Targus Dock180 and it was working fine in my old MAC Pro, but I had a hard time in my new MAC. I installed the drivers for the Targus but still not able to detect the monitors. I did two things:

1.- Enable screen recording. You will find this option under Privacy and Security - Screen Recording. You must have enable this option for DisplayLink Manager

2.- Active the DisplayLink Manager. My new MAC Pro did not have enable the DisplayLink Manager. If you review the icons in the upper right, you should see an icon that has like two overlapping rectangles. I did not have them, I launch DisplayLink Manager and the display were immediately detected. For best practice you might want to enable in the DisplayLink Manager the option "Launch automatically after login".

Those two things helped me to have the Targus USB-C Universal DV4K Docking Station with 60W Power Delivery (DOCK180USZ) up and running.

Jun 23, 2023 6:00 AM in response to shamimny07

Check if you granted access to external devices in MacOS settings -> Privacy & Security -> Allow accessories to connect -> Automaticly

Had the same problem, and for some reason the popup to unlock the USB-C device didn't appear and never came back again. If you grant access to your USB-C connected devices automaticly, then the docking station should work and your monitor too.

If the monitor stays dark (sleep) but is visible in MacOS display settings -> Try unplugging ALL devices from AC and replugging them. Got the same problem yesterday again after updating to Ventura 13.4.1. There is something wrong with device handshake and was fixed only after unplugging ALL USB-C connected devices from AC (incl. monitor).

Jun 23, 2023 4:45 AM in response to shamimny07

Many docks do not work with Ventura. If the dock is supposed to allow you to connect more displays than the Mac is spec'd to handle, you would need third-party software to make it work—DisplayLink. From what I've seen, here, that software breaks a lot when the OS is updated.

Is the Targus dock supposed to work with macOS? My guess is the HP is not.

MacBook Air with Ventura 13.4.1 not supporting Docking station and external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.