Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Battery won’t charge with IOS 16.5.1

Anyone else having problems charging their iPad after installing 16.5.1 ? It tries but fails to charge steadily.

iPad Pro (5th generation)

Posted on Jun 22, 2023 8:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2023 5:01 AM

If you are experiencing difficulties immediately after installing a system software update, try a forced-restart - as this will often clear an isolated software issue:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

If the charging problem persists, these support pages should help with troubleshooting battery and charging issues:

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

Troubleshooting generally requires substitution of the Power Adapter and cable for another known-good item. Most models of iPad require a Power Adapter rated at 12W or greater to reliably charge. 5W Power Adapters intended for older models of iPhone are inadequate to charge an iPad; if the iPad charges at all, charging will be very slow. Recent models of iPad are supplied with a 20W USB-C Power Adapter.

Be aware that many computer USB ports cannot source sufficient power to charge an iPad. Unless explicitly designed for charging connected devices, computer USB ports are typically limited to 0.5-1A @5V (i.e., 2.5-5.0W).

If you continue to experience difficulties when using an appropriate Power Adapter of 12W or greater, you might be best advised to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively, if you have access to another Apple device, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad, Power Adapter and cable(s):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2023 5:01 AM in response to Memgrizzlie

If you are experiencing difficulties immediately after installing a system software update, try a forced-restart - as this will often clear an isolated software issue:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

If the charging problem persists, these support pages should help with troubleshooting battery and charging issues:

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

Troubleshooting generally requires substitution of the Power Adapter and cable for another known-good item. Most models of iPad require a Power Adapter rated at 12W or greater to reliably charge. 5W Power Adapters intended for older models of iPhone are inadequate to charge an iPad; if the iPad charges at all, charging will be very slow. Recent models of iPad are supplied with a 20W USB-C Power Adapter.

Be aware that many computer USB ports cannot source sufficient power to charge an iPad. Unless explicitly designed for charging connected devices, computer USB ports are typically limited to 0.5-1A @5V (i.e., 2.5-5.0W).

If you continue to experience difficulties when using an appropriate Power Adapter of 12W or greater, you might be best advised to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively, if you have access to another Apple device, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad, Power Adapter and cable(s):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Jun 24, 2023 8:14 PM in response to Memgrizzlie

I'm having issues getting my ipad to charge too, an iPad Pro A1980. It will wake up from being turned off if I plug it in, so it detects being plugged in, but it won't actually charge. I spoke with support and they didn't have any idea, simply suggesting it was a hardware issue--except it only happened after the update (immediately. it was plugged in WHILE it was updating and was charging fine then)

Considering the update included things related to charging, I'm suspecting there's a bug but I can't find a way to get answers except this forum.

Jul 19, 2023 1:43 AM in response to karlton64

I guess you did not read this entire post.

After ANY iOS/iPadOS upgrade/update, you should ALWAYS perform a simple hard reset/forced restart of your Apple mobile device.

For iPad models with a Home button, do a simple hard reset/forced restart of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake/power button simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

OR

For much newer design iPad models, without a Home button, try the new simple hard reset/forced restart procedure for the new 2018-2022 iPad Pros, 2020/21 iPad Air 4 and 5, the 2021 iPad Mini 6 and the new 2022, 10th gen base models,

1. Press and release the volume button closest to the top Power button

2. Then immediately ( and quickly ) press and release the volume button farthest from the top Power button.

3. Then, press and hold the top single sleep/wake/power button You will see the Slide to Power off button, but keep on holding down the power button until you see the Apple logo, then let it go.

Once you have performed all the steps, wait for a few seconds and your 2018-2022 iPad will boot up completely to the iPad’s Lock screen.

Tap, read and follow this Apple support link below.

Force restart iPad - Apple Support

Best of Luck to You!

Jul 18, 2023 9:06 PM in response to Memgrizzlie

with the new IOS 16.5.1(c) update my battery life has gone from lasting almost the whole day with moderate use to only an hour or two and once I put it on the charger I have to turn it off and leave it to charge for hours to get 50%. With the availability of power sources everywhere you look I’m one of those people who feel there is ZERO excuse for someone’s battery to be less than 60%. Lately my phones dead by noon even if left plugged it. Also since the update my phones screen has been so dim and hot! This is unacceptable apple! I’m ready to switch to android

Sep 17, 2023 4:53 AM in response to Memgrizzlie

This is happening with both phone and iPad. Yes I tried the hard reset and doesn’t help. One thing that is interesting is that it won’t charge with anything (beyond a few min) except for an actual Apple cable. For my phone I even had to use one w the iPad block. It finally charged it pretty quick and got hot.

I did go into the battery settings and noticed the new settings to only charge when my local grid is blah blah, turned that off, as well as the setting to wait to finish charging since at first it would charge for around 30 min and then stop. So normally charge overnight but now in the morning it’s near dead. iPhone 13

Battery won’t charge with IOS 16.5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.