copy columns keeping format

Is there a way to copy a series of columns to add to the end or somewhere in a spreadsheet without loosing the formatting?

I have a spreadsheet that I need to add to. I would like to just copy existing columns to add to the spreadsheet without loosing the editing of size, color, etc of the columns/cells. Every time I have tried copy/past or copy/insert it doesn't work or I loose all the editing of size/color/merge etc. I don't care about the data in the cells since I will be creating new data in those columns/cells.

MacBook Air (M2, 2023)

Posted on Jun 24, 2023 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2023 6:19 PM

Here is a way to copy/paste a range of columns to somewhere else in the table without overwriting any other columns.

1. Select the columns to be copied (click on leftmost column letter then shift-click on rightmost column letter)
  2. Click and hold on one of the highlighted column letters until the columns "lift" out of the table
  3. Start dragging them away then hold down the Option key to copy vs relocate them
  4. A green line will appear in the table to indicate where they will be placed when you drop them
  5. Drop them

If you don't hold Option, you will be moving them to the new location.

You can do the same thing with rows.

You can drop them on a blank place on the canvas to create a new table.

You can relocate a cell using the same technique. Click and hold on the cell until it lifts.

This is a really nifty feature of Numbers. I use it to rearrange columns/rows and move cells around as I am designing.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2023 6:19 PM in response to s49

Here is a way to copy/paste a range of columns to somewhere else in the table without overwriting any other columns.

1. Select the columns to be copied (click on leftmost column letter then shift-click on rightmost column letter)
  2. Click and hold on one of the highlighted column letters until the columns "lift" out of the table
  3. Start dragging them away then hold down the Option key to copy vs relocate them
  4. A green line will appear in the table to indicate where they will be placed when you drop them
  5. Drop them

If you don't hold Option, you will be moving them to the new location.

You can do the same thing with rows.

You can drop them on a blank place on the canvas to create a new table.

You can relocate a cell using the same technique. Click and hold on the cell until it lifts.

This is a really nifty feature of Numbers. I use it to rearrange columns/rows and move cells around as I am designing.

Jun 24, 2023 1:45 PM in response to s49

From what I see, you're copying the entire column and pasting the data which is creating a new table. I'm assuming this is not the intended behavior you're trying to achieve?

The reason for this might be because you're just pasting the data. Could you try highlighting the rows and columns you want to replace?

1. Copy the data you're trying to replicate (Command + C)
  2. Select the rows and columns where you want that data to confine to
  3. Paste the data by clicking Command + V

Jun 24, 2023 12:48 PM in response to s49

Hello s49,

Everything should permit by default. The only way it wouldn't, to my knowledge is if you're clicking Paste and Match Style (or Command + Option + Shift + V). If you Copy (Command + C) and Paste (Command + V) the size, color, formulas should copy over with no issues.

Is this how you're copying them or are you doing something else to move the data?

Jun 24, 2023 4:02 PM in response to pjswiz

This is what I did. I selected the columns I want to copy (reproduce), selected copy then selected the column where I wanted the copied columns to start then selected paste. Do I have to select the same number of columns as what I copied to paste? I just want to continue to add in sequence when needed to the spreadsheet.

copy columns keeping format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.