my iphone is now asking asking for an Apple ID verification for an old email address that I had long ago and is no longer associated with my account. Has anyone had this experience?

When I have to update an app. on my phone, I am now being asked to put in my password from a long extinct email address that is not associated with my account. Now, to update I have to delete the app., reinstall it (using my current apple id/password) and I am good to go.

How do I get Apple to not ask for this old email password?

Posted on Jun 24, 2023 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2023 1:47 PM

Apps are FOREVER tied to the Apple ID they were downloaded under. So you're being asked for that ID in order to update the apps. Changing one's Apple ID is usually the wrong way to go. You can change the email address associated with an Apple ID, but that isn't what you did. So delete the Apps and rebuy them under your current ID is the solution you need.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2023 1:47 PM in response to D-Cronin-0909

Apps are FOREVER tied to the Apple ID they were downloaded under. So you're being asked for that ID in order to update the apps. Changing one's Apple ID is usually the wrong way to go. You can change the email address associated with an Apple ID, but that isn't what you did. So delete the Apps and rebuy them under your current ID is the solution you need.

my iphone is now asking asking for an Apple ID verification for an old email address that I had long ago and is no longer associated with my account. Has anyone had this experience?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.