Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

My iPhone 14 battery health dropped 2% after two months

I got my iPhone 14 in April 19 and in June 7 it went down 1% at 42 charge cycles and yesterday (June 24) it went down again and its now 98% at 54 charge cycles. I don't know what im doing wrong because it hasn't been a month since it went down. I know I should stop obsessing with it but I have no idea what to do to maintain the battery health for longer periods of time. I know the battery health dropping every month by 1% is okay but I’m also taking the battery cycles into account. :/

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 24, 2023 5:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 7:26 AM

althea44 wrote:

to be honest im usually busy during weekdays so i end the day at 50% or more and charge it in the morning but during weekends if its more than 50% i use it until it reaches 50% before charging it. i kinda have a whole routine already. just wanted to know if it’s absolutely necessary that i charge it overnight because i usually only limit myself from using 50% everyday. (i know it doesnt matter but for the peace of mind i still do it)

Mandatory? No. Best to do? Yes. Even if my phone is at 84% when I go to bed at night, I put my phone on its charger and leave it there all night, every night, until I get up in the morning. My phone is not actually charging all night. With Optimized Battery Charging turned on it manages the charge without me having to ever worry about it. And since I back up to iCloud and the phone is connected to Wifi, it backs up every night without fail. So I never have to worry about losing data should something unforeseen happen.

It's your phone and you can do as you want. But the advice we suggest to charge at night, every night, all night while you sleep is good advice.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2023 7:26 AM in response to althea44

althea44 wrote:

to be honest im usually busy during weekdays so i end the day at 50% or more and charge it in the morning but during weekends if its more than 50% i use it until it reaches 50% before charging it. i kinda have a whole routine already. just wanted to know if it’s absolutely necessary that i charge it overnight because i usually only limit myself from using 50% everyday. (i know it doesnt matter but for the peace of mind i still do it)

Mandatory? No. Best to do? Yes. Even if my phone is at 84% when I go to bed at night, I put my phone on its charger and leave it there all night, every night, until I get up in the morning. My phone is not actually charging all night. With Optimized Battery Charging turned on it manages the charge without me having to ever worry about it. And since I back up to iCloud and the phone is connected to Wifi, it backs up every night without fail. So I never have to worry about losing data should something unforeseen happen.

It's your phone and you can do as you want. But the advice we suggest to charge at night, every night, all night while you sleep is good advice.

Jun 24, 2023 5:29 PM in response to althea44

A drop in battery health of 1% per month is considered normal. One thing you can count on is your battery health to continue to decline. And it's not linear. It may drop a point or two, then not drop for a few months. But drop it will do.

Do make sure you are charging your phone at night every night, all night long. Do make sure you have optimized battery charging turned on in Settings > Battery > Battery Health. And don't obsess over something which is normal and expected. If by some very odd chance, your battery health dips to 80% in the first 12 months of ownership, Apple will replace the battery under warranty. That is not likely at all.

Read this about Maximizing Battery Performance --> Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

Jun 29, 2023 7:20 AM in response to althea44

why would charging it overnight be best???

I'll let our battery expert Lawrence Finch give you some important information about that:

There is never a time when any smartphone is doing nothing, so it will use energy 24/7, and the amount used will vary from day to day and minute to minute. For that reason alone you should charge your phone overnight, every night.

In addition, the absolute best way to get maximum use on a charge, as well as slow the decline of battery capacity long term is to enable Optimized Battery Charging (Settings/Battery/Battery Health) and charge the device overnight. The battery will fast charge to 80%, then pause. During the nighttime pause the phone will use mains power instead of battery power, allowing the battery to “rest”, and thus reducing the need to charge the battery quite as often. The phone will resume charging to reach 100% when you are ready to use your phone; it will “learn” your usage pattern. 

If you enable iCloud Backup (Settings/[your name]/iCloud - iCloud Backup) the phone will back up overnight also, assuring that you can never lose more than the current day’s updates. Here's more information→About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone - Apple Support

Bottom line.....it is impossible to "overcharge" the battery, if you might have "heard" something like that.

Jun 24, 2023 5:36 PM in response to althea44

At 6 months, the battery will be at about 94-95%. At 12, it will be 88-90%. Expect to replace that battery at about 24 months or 2 years.

There is no reason to check the battery more than a time or two a month. The more that you can ignore it, the better it will be. You will drive yourself crazy if you try to keep track of cycles.

Plug the phone into the power adapter every night and leave it connected all night.....every night. That is the single best thing that you can do to preserve the life of the battery.

Jun 28, 2023 8:12 PM in response to althea44

althea44 wrote:

why would charging it overnight be best??? sorry i dont understand why because ive always been told not to

"Who" has told you not to charge overnight? Certainly NOT Apple. All Apple devices have built in battery management systems which control how the battery is charged. They can't be overcharged at all. Charging at night while you sleep is the best method to charge your watch for the next days use.

Jun 29, 2023 7:13 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Jul 9, 2023 6:31 AM in response to althea44

I suppose you're just going to be annoyed, if you keep checking your battery health a lot. Because your battery health is going to continue to decline until such time its time to pay to have the battery replaced. When Battery Health dips to 80%, which it will in the future, then it will be time to invest in a new battery. Until such time, you really should stop worrying over this. You can't stop battery health decline. It's usually advisable to not worry over things you cannot control.

My iPhone 14 battery health dropped 2% after two months

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.