My Mac is very slow and beachballing

Hello my iMac is running very slow and beachballing. I've installed an antivirus program and it has returned nothing. I've run the EtreCheck program (attached). I've had a tech remote in to assist; and nothing. Any advice would be welcome.

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 1:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 1:51 AM

Hi there!

I see you have multiple antivirus and VPN apps installed on your Mac. Antivirus and VPN apps can make your Mac run very slowly, and it's recommended you don't use them. Apple has included built-in security with macOS. To learn more, take a look at macOS - Security - Apple and Protecting against malware in macOS - Apple Support.

Try to uninstall the apps following the developer's instructions, and let us know how your Mac runs after.

Jack

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2023 1:51 AM in response to PhilinCanberra

Hi there!

I see you have multiple antivirus and VPN apps installed on your Mac. Antivirus and VPN apps can make your Mac run very slowly, and it's recommended you don't use them. Apple has included built-in security with macOS. To learn more, take a look at macOS - Security - Apple and Protecting against malware in macOS - Apple Support.

Try to uninstall the apps following the developer's instructions, and let us know how your Mac runs after.

Jack

Jun 25, 2023 12:13 PM in response to PhilinCanberra

Certain antivirus apps are hard to remove, especially when they install system and kernel extensions. An easier way to remove all components of the software may be to erase your Mac and reinstall macOS. Doing so will erase all data, so its a good idea to backup your files with Time Machine.

To erase your Mac and reinstall macOS, follow these steps:

1. Start up from macOS Recovery: Turn on your Mac, then immediately press and hold these two keys until you see an Apple logo or other image: Command (⌘) and R. 
    2. From the utilities window, select Disk Utility and click Continue.
    3. Select Macintosh HD in the sidebar of Disk Utility.
    4. Click the Erase button in the toolbar, then enter the requested details:
      1. Name: Macintosh HD
      2. Format: APFS
    5. Click Erase Volume Group. If this button isn't shown, click Erase instead.
    6. When done, quit Disk Utility to return to the utilities window.
    7. Select Reinstall macOS in the utilities window, then click Continue and follow the onscreen instructions. Learn more about reinstalling macOS.

When your Mac starts up again, follow the prompts in Setup Assistant. When asked how you want to transfer your information, select "Now now". Moving data using Migration Assistant could potentially restore the issues and the antivirus apps. Rather, once your Mac is setup again, connect the backup disk, and restore items backed up with Time Machine. Manually reinstall all your apps, except for VPN and antivirus apps.

If you have any questions, please let us know!

Jack

My Mac is very slow and beachballing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.