While recovery iphone exits recovery mode because of long downloading of update

Because of entering wrong pass code too many times, iphone 11 was blocked.

Recovering requires downloading of 6.5gb update first which takes more than 15 minutes of recovery mode duration.

After the recovery mode tuned off - the recovery of iphone also stops as well as downloading the update and mac native tool for iphone recovery closed.

After I turn the recovery mode on once again mac asked me do I want to restore or update my iphone. Like from the very beginning. I selected to restore. It shows moving progress indication but without data about how much it was downloaded and time left, so I don't understand what is going on..

Is it keep downloading the update? Should I wait for it? Or it downloading update from the start every time recovery mode turned off? Or it don't even work?

I was trying to boot into dfu mode, but I couldn't do it. Iphone just reloading every time.

How to deal with that? Thanks

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 7:39 AM

2 replies

May 13, 2024 10:51 PM in response to fursaman

From my experience, if you see the bar, yes it is keep downloading the update, and you should wait for it.

I believe it is just an UI error that is confusing the users, but macOS is installing it in the background.

Background: It took me several tries to realize this. I also tried unplugging the cord and restart the computer, all it did was restart the install. None of the other suggested solutions I saw worked for me (e.g., clicking "cancel" after the "restore of update" option), so I decided to wait it out when I see the bar again and see what happens, and viola, eventually Finder started indicating that it is restoring the iphone, which means it has finished installing the update. The whole time the bar looks like that for me.

My environment:

Chip: Apple M3 Pro

macOS: IOS 14.5

Jun 26, 2023 5:25 PM in response to fursaman

Hello fursaman,

If the passcode isn't known for your device, or it is disabled, please be sure to follow the process outlined in this link, so we can make sure there aren't any issues there: If you forgot your iPhone passcode

Forgot your iPhone passcode? Learn how to put your iPhone into recovery mode so you can erase it and set it up again.

* Forgot the passcode on your iPad?
* Forgot the passcode on your iPod touch?

If you enter the wrong passcode on your iPhone Lock Screen too many times, an alert lets you know that your iPhone is disabled. (Learn what to do if you see "[Device] unavailable" or "Security Lockout" on your iPhone or iPad.)

If you can’t remember your passcode when you try again, use a computer to put your iPhone in recovery mode. Recovery mode allows you to erase the iPhone, giving you access to set it up again.

After you erase your iPhone, you can restore your data and settings from a backup. If you didn't back up your iPhone, you can set it up as a new device and then download any data that you have in iCloud.

If you continue to experience an issue, please contact Apple Support for help. You may be able to reach them here: Get Support

Thanks!

While recovery iphone exits recovery mode because of long downloading of update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.