Music from hard drive keeps deleting off iPhone 6S

I bought an old iPhone 6S to fill up with music I have from my portable hard drive to replace my old iPod touch. After loading a bunch of music I noticed after playing some songs the next day a bunch of albums will be missing. When I plug my phone to itunes the songs will be there but the deleted ones have the exclamation point and will not play. I keep loading the same songs/albums only for them to keep deleting. I don’t have wifi turned on, not signed into my apple id or apple music just bluetooth so I can listen. As far as I know the phone has the latest IOS 10.2.1. Can anyone help please?

Earlier iPhone models

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 7:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2023 1:39 AM

The exclamation point next to a song (listed in your iTunes Library) means that the file for that song is no longer where it was when you added it to iTunes.

The first thing to do therefore, is work out why iTunes can no longer find those files:

1. Have the original files been moved, renamed or deleted after you added them to your library?
    2. Has the path to those files subsequently been renamed, moved or deleted?
    3. Were the files on an external drive or memory stick when you added them to your library. If so, is that drive still connected to your computer with the same drive letter as it had originally?

Regarding that last point (the external device with the files on it); a more suitable method is to copy the files from the external drive to the same storage location used for other iTunes music files. That is usually a sub folder in the the Music folder on your computer. That drive must be on and ready to read each time before you start iTunes.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2023 1:39 AM in response to Lostboymarco

The exclamation point next to a song (listed in your iTunes Library) means that the file for that song is no longer where it was when you added it to iTunes.

The first thing to do therefore, is work out why iTunes can no longer find those files:

1. Have the original files been moved, renamed or deleted after you added them to your library?
    2. Has the path to those files subsequently been renamed, moved or deleted?
    3. Were the files on an external drive or memory stick when you added them to your library. If so, is that drive still connected to your computer with the same drive letter as it had originally?

Regarding that last point (the external device with the files on it); a more suitable method is to copy the files from the external drive to the same storage location used for other iTunes music files. That is usually a sub folder in the the Music folder on your computer. That drive must be on and ready to read each time before you start iTunes.

Music from hard drive keeps deleting off iPhone 6S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.