Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Related Article: Apple security releases

How do I update my iPad?

How to update my iPad. It’s not hapng

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Air 2, iOS 11

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 11:10 AM

Hello,

There are different ways to ensure the highest iOS/iPadOS that your device will support is installed on your device.

This support article has instructions about updating an iPhone or iPad wirelessly --> Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

You can also use Mac and PC computers to update system software, as outlined in this support article --> Update iPadOS - Apple Support

Use this support article to identify your iPad model --> Identify your iPad model - Apple Support and then the list below to find out what your iPad is capable of running. Alternatively --and somewhat easier-- is to simply try updating it and see if it will update. When updating, your device will update to the highest version currently available that it will support, or it will just say it is up to date (and can't go any higher) and won't install anything. Apple indicates ( Unable to update my iPhone 6 Plus from 12… - Apple Community ) I need to point out the obvious and state that if you want to run a higher system version than your current device will run, that you need to buy a newer device.

Use the information in this support article to identify your iPad model--> Identify your iPad model - Apple Support

Here's a list of iPad models and the iOS/iPadOS versions they are capable of running:

iPad1 will only update to iOS 5.1.1

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 will only update to iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi only models) or iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & cellular)

iPad4 will only update to iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi only) or iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & cellular)

iPad Air1, iPad mini2 and iPad mini3 will only update to iOS 12.5.7

iPad Air2, iPad mini4 will only update to iPadOS 15.7.7

These models are all able to be updated to the current version, iPadOS 16.5.1

iPad Pro

iPad Air 3rd generation and later

iPad (5th generation and later)

iPad mini (5th generation and later)

If your device won't update, verify your model and iOS support as outlined above and make sure you are following all the conditions for the method you are trying to use:

If your Apple mobile device won't update, read this support article for a list of possible reasons --> If your iPhone or iPad won't update - Apple Support

Another, less common reason for not being able to update is if you were using a beta version of software. Refer to How to uninstall iOS or iPadOS beta software - Apple Support

If you need more space for an iOS update read this support article --> If you need more space for an update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2023 11:10 AM in response to rashi82

Hello,

There are different ways to ensure the highest iOS/iPadOS that your device will support is installed on your device.

This support article has instructions about updating an iPhone or iPad wirelessly --> Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

You can also use Mac and PC computers to update system software, as outlined in this support article --> Update iPadOS - Apple Support

Use this support article to identify your iPad model --> Identify your iPad model - Apple Support and then the list below to find out what your iPad is capable of running. Alternatively --and somewhat easier-- is to simply try updating it and see if it will update. When updating, your device will update to the highest version currently available that it will support, or it will just say it is up to date (and can't go any higher) and won't install anything. Apple indicates ( Unable to update my iPhone 6 Plus from 12… - Apple Community ) I need to point out the obvious and state that if you want to run a higher system version than your current device will run, that you need to buy a newer device.

Use the information in this support article to identify your iPad model--> Identify your iPad model - Apple Support

Here's a list of iPad models and the iOS/iPadOS versions they are capable of running:

iPad1 will only update to iOS 5.1.1

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 will only update to iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi only models) or iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & cellular)

iPad4 will only update to iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi only) or iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & cellular)

iPad Air1, iPad mini2 and iPad mini3 will only update to iOS 12.5.7

iPad Air2, iPad mini4 will only update to iPadOS 15.7.7

These models are all able to be updated to the current version, iPadOS 16.5.1

iPad Pro

iPad Air 3rd generation and later

iPad (5th generation and later)

iPad mini (5th generation and later)

If your device won't update, verify your model and iOS support as outlined above and make sure you are following all the conditions for the method you are trying to use:

If your Apple mobile device won't update, read this support article for a list of possible reasons --> If your iPhone or iPad won't update - Apple Support

Another, less common reason for not being able to update is if you were using a beta version of software. Refer to How to uninstall iOS or iPadOS beta software - Apple Support

If you need more space for an iOS update read this support article --> If you need more space for an update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

How do I update my iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.