Unknown iPhone profile

To put it simple I bought a 2nd hand iPhone 7 from your everyday average corner shop last year, fast forward to this year I was curiously browsing through my phone out of curiosity and found this crap on it ⬇️

I done a little research (I’ve already removed it but still jus wanted some clarification from people here who are probably more knowledgeable about this typa stuff) and wanted to know how on earth this ended up on my device because I didn’t install it and I’m pretty sure people reset their iPhones before selling them on??

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 8

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 4:22 PM

The configuration profile indicates that the phone was likely provided by a business to an employee and the IT department set up some controls on the phone.

But.....this should have been erased previously before the phone was sold, given away, etc. So, looks like some steps were missed in the process.

If it were me, I would erase the phone and start all over again.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2023 4:22 PM in response to iPhone_profiles_discussions

The configuration profile indicates that the phone was likely provided by a business to an employee and the IT department set up some controls on the phone.

But.....this should have been erased previously before the phone was sold, given away, etc. So, looks like some steps were missed in the process.

If it were me, I would erase the phone and start all over again.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Jun 25, 2023 4:19 PM in response to iPhone_profiles_discussions

Hello iPhone_profiles_discussions,

It's possible they don't do a full reset and/or install it before selling them. I would always advise doing a factory reset if you're buying devices from a third-party or just buy from trusted sellers. I would still recommend a factory reset to make sure nothing else is hidden on the iPhone.

It might also be worth going through Privacy & Security within Settings and looking at what data is being shared.

Unknown iPhone profile

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.