Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Removing Time Machine Backups

I used to backup my iMac to an external drive. I have now sold the iMac but how do I remove the no longer needed backups to give much-wanted space on my Hardrive. I tried changing permissions but still unable to delete the Backup files. Is there a simple solution? Maybe I should just reformat the Hardrive but this is a last resort as I have many other files stored on it.

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 4:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 6:18 PM

Graham_e wrote:

I used to backup my iMac to an external drive. I have now sold the iMac but how do I remove the no longer needed backups to give much-wanted space on my Hardrive. I tried changing permissions but still unable to delete the Backup files. Is there a simple solution? Maybe I should just reformat the Hardrive but this is a last resort as I have many other files stored on it.

reformat the drive as new

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Move your "other" file you want to keep off the drive.

TM likes to have its own dedicated drive.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2023 6:18 PM in response to Graham_e

Graham_e wrote:

reformat the drive as new

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Move your "other" file you want to keep off the drive.

TM likes to have its own dedicated drive.

Removing Time Machine Backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.