not able to add member into family sharing

I understand you can have up to 5 additional people plus yourself for family share. I did have a stepdaughter on family share, she is under 13. I went through the process to have her removed and her apple id cancelled, however now I still can not add another person. The ADD button is greyed out. I only have a total of 5 people now, including myself. Please Help

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 26, 2023 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2023 11:31 PM

Hi mgiroux236,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: "not able to add member into family sharing"

Thank you for posting your query in the community, and for adding your info. about the situation.

You may need to update your iPhone to the latest iOS version:

About iOS 16 Updates - Apple Support says iOS 16.5.1 is the latest.

If you have already updated:

Try restarting your iPhone (deletes temporary files, and will often restore order or update recent account changes)

Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

Check again, whether you can now add the other family member.

To add another member to your family, you can send an invitation via Messages, email, or in person.

They can accept or decline an invitation to join a family directly from their device.

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support says: Settings > Family > Add member > Follow the onscreen instructions.

If necessary:

You could try checking if the step-daughter's name is still listed for family sharing anywhere else in settings

eg: Ask to Buy ? ScreenTime ? Apple cash .. maybe shared subscriptions ? or purchase sharing ?

More support, if needed:

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Family Sharing website

Family Sharing - Apple

All the best :-)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2023 11:31 PM in response to mgiroux236

Hi mgiroux236,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: "not able to add member into family sharing"

Thank you for posting your query in the community, and for adding your info. about the situation.

You may need to update your iPhone to the latest iOS version:

About iOS 16 Updates - Apple Support says iOS 16.5.1 is the latest.

If you have already updated:

Try restarting your iPhone (deletes temporary files, and will often restore order or update recent account changes)

Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

Check again, whether you can now add the other family member.

To add another member to your family, you can send an invitation via Messages, email, or in person.

They can accept or decline an invitation to join a family directly from their device.

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support says: Settings > Family > Add member > Follow the onscreen instructions.

If necessary:

You could try checking if the step-daughter's name is still listed for family sharing anywhere else in settings

eg: Ask to Buy ? ScreenTime ? Apple cash .. maybe shared subscriptions ? or purchase sharing ?

More support, if needed:

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Family Sharing website

Family Sharing - Apple

All the best :-)

not able to add member into family sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.