Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

mac os x el capitan wont startup (not even in safe mode)

. I tried fixing a freinds computer and I first went into this utility mode and tried to reinstall El Capitan but it wouldn’t install because the recovery hd could not be installed on or it was locked. The other option (installing on the OS X Base System) would make me sign into the Apple Store and after I did it would say “this item is temporarily unavailable” I also tried to boot through a startup disk (I have a startup dvd). I also tried to erase and first aid every drive but that didn’t work either. I also don’t have a Time Machine backup. please help. Images that help

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Jun 26, 2023 3:36 PM

6 replies

Jun 26, 2023 4:30 PM in response to Alexandereum2008

installing on the OS X Base System will never work, that is what runs Restore Mode.

Try installing on an external drive...

What has often worked for others is to use this Restore Method instead of CMD+r keys...

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

2017 iMac failing to install Sierra in re… - Apple Community

Clean Install of High Sierra: Multiple Fa… - Apple Community

mac os x el capitan wont startup (not even in safe mode)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.