Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Photo stream discontinuation…

Hi. How do I get my photos automatically from my iPhone to my Mac now that Photostream has stopped?

My Photos library is very large. Does that stop me using iCloud Photos?

iMac (M1, 2021)

Posted on Jun 27, 2023 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2023 10:27 AM

The only automatic way is to enable iCloud Photos on both devices. You'll have to purchase iCloud space from Apple to hold the library. The first time you enable iCloud Library it can take zip to a week or more for the upload and syncing to finish. During that time you should leave Photos open and in the background on your Mac while you're using it and also all night (turn off sleep and use only the screensaver).

The other, non-automatic way is to connect the iPhone to your Mac with its USB charging cable and user either Photos or Image Capture to download the photos and videos to your library or to a folder on the Deskto.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2023 10:27 AM in response to mboursnell

The only automatic way is to enable iCloud Photos on both devices. You'll have to purchase iCloud space from Apple to hold the library. The first time you enable iCloud Library it can take zip to a week or more for the upload and syncing to finish. During that time you should leave Photos open and in the background on your Mac while you're using it and also all night (turn off sleep and use only the screensaver).

The other, non-automatic way is to connect the iPhone to your Mac with its USB charging cable and user either Photos or Image Capture to download the photos and videos to your library or to a folder on the Deskto.

Photo stream discontinuation…

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.