Why are my text messages not deleted on my iPhone once I delete them from my iMac?

My messages seems to synchronise ok between my apple devices but when i delete a message on my iMac 12.6.7 messages app it doesn't delete on my iPhone x 16.5.1 messages app. What should i do?

iPhone X

Posted on Jun 27, 2023 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2023 11:54 AM

That was a long-time issue, which Apple finally remedied in Monterey by adding one check box.

Open Messages on your Mac, then its settings. Click on the iMessage tab, then make sure this check box is on.

11 replies

Jun 27, 2023 12:16 PM in response to Dodier007

It may be how the devices are set up. On my Mac, iPhone and iPad, all three are set identically.

Under "You can receive messages…", I have my cell phone listed first and my email second. Both check marks on.

Under "Start new conversations from", both are listed again, but the cell phone is listed first and is the only one with a check mark. Mainly because you can only choose one item under that heading.

It's only a guess on my part that my setup works this way. All I know is it does. Any message I receive, reply to or delete cascades to the other two devices no matter which one I perform a function on.

Jun 27, 2023 1:07 PM in response to Dodier007

I checked again to be sure. What I listed above are the named options on an iPhone 14 Pro under iOS 16.5.1.

But on my 6th gen iPad (also iOS 16.5.1), the choices are quite different. I made the mistake of assuming they'd be the same since it's the same level of iOS.

Anyway, for the iPad, iMessage is on. The phone number/address for send and receive are the same. Beyond that, Shared with You, Send Read Receipts, Show Subject Field and Notify Me are on. The other options on the iPhone don't exist on the iPad.

Despite the drastically different option choices, they do sync.

And that may be directly related to how Apple releases their OS's. Almost every time there's an update or upgrade to iOS, there's a macOS update/upgrade. Meaning, it may be important to always have the latest OS installed on each device. But I'm once again guessing on that.

Why are my text messages not deleted on my iPhone once I delete them from my iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.