You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dell monitor does not work with MacBook Pro (2017 updated to Ventura)

Hey All,

I have a Dell monitor S3422DW. I plugged my MacBook Pro in for the first time and the screen message comes up "input timing is not supported. change your input timing to 3440x1440, 60Hz." I have scoured the internet, watched YouTube videos, looked through the support community, and I cannot get it to work. I've adjusted the resolution multiple times, restarted the computer and the monitor, started the computer up in safe mode. There are other people who are having problems with Ventura and Dell monitors, but I have not found the fix.

I would love your suggestions.

Thank you!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 27, 2023 12:03 PM

1 reply

Jun 28, 2023 5:08 PM in response to ajr101

Hey ajr101,

If your external monitor is not working as expected, start by making sure your Mac supports the display:

"Find out what your Mac supports

Your external display will be dark if it exceeds the maximum number of external displays that your Mac can use at the same time. This limit varies by Mac model.

Your external display will be dark or use a lower resolution or refresh rate if you configure it to exceed the maximum supported resolution or refresh rate. This limit varies by Mac model, display, the video cable and adapter used with the display, and the resolution and refresh rate of other connected displays. Learn what to do if your screen became dark after you changed its resolution or refresh rate.

To find out how many external displays your Mac supports, and at which resolutions and refresh rates, check the specifications for your Mac model:

If it is supported, check the resource for additional troubleshooting steps.

We hope this helps!

Sincerely.

dell monitor does not work with MacBook Pro (2017 updated to Ventura)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.