Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

My AirTag hangs during setup.

My AirTag hangs during setup. It goes through the initial beep when it's discovered by my iPhone, then another beep once I give it a name and agree to pair. Then setup hangs on my iPhone forever and ever. Already tried resetting it, same exact magic-less experience.

Posted on Jun 27, 2023 7:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2023 9:58 AM

Thanks for the reply. So it's brand new out of the box. I've taken out the battery and follow the reset procedures several times, to get it to re-appear on my phone for setup. Turns out that it was hanging during the setup because one of the privacy/location services was disabled on my phone. It would be great if the setup could tell the enduser that a certain security setting is required, instead of just silently hanging forever. Not the best experience setting up an AirTag, but, willing to give it a try now that I got it connected.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2023 9:58 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for the reply. So it's brand new out of the box. I've taken out the battery and follow the reset procedures several times, to get it to re-appear on my phone for setup. Turns out that it was hanging during the setup because one of the privacy/location services was disabled on my phone. It would be great if the setup could tell the enduser that a certain security setting is required, instead of just silently hanging forever. Not the best experience setting up an AirTag, but, willing to give it a try now that I got it connected.

Jun 28, 2023 8:00 AM in response to Mdxxdm

You didn't mention if this AirTag is new, or that you have been using it awhile, but cannot set it up again with your iPhone.

As such, have you tried to reset it first? Ref: How to reset your AirTag - Apple Support

If so, and that did not resolve the setup process, it may be possible that this AirTag may be faulty. Should that be the case, the next step would be to contact Apple Support directly for further assistance with this matter. To do so, simply select the "Support" link on the lower left-hand side of this forum's web page.

My AirTag hangs during setup.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.