How do I setup family sharing from android?

I want to share apple tv+ with my family members. For the life of me I can't find an interface to add them from my chromecast or web browser.

Chromecast,

Posted on Jun 27, 2023 8:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2023 8:35 PM

Apple does say this:

Use Family Sharing with Apple Music on Android - Apple Support

"How to start and manage your own family group

When you get an Apple Music family subscription, you can start and manage a family group to share your subscription. Just follow the steps below."

However, you won't have full control over Family Sharing features the way you would with an Apple device. It is theoretically possible to get access to AppleTV on Windows and Android with Family Sharing. The sharing would have to be set up on an Apple device but once a person has access to a subscription then Apple says that you can play Apple TV on Windows and Android by using a web browser.

How to watch Apple TV+, MLS Season Pass, and more - --> How to watch Apple TV+, MLS Season Pass, and more - Apple Support

Family Sharing on Apple TV --> Family Sharing on Apple TV - Apple Support

"You can’t initiate or configure Family Sharing directly on Apple TV. It must be done on a Mac, an iOS device, or an iPadOS device. To learn more about setting up Family Sharing, see the Apple Support article Set up Family Sharing."

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2023 8:35 PM in response to MustangMattTurbo

Apple does say this:

Use Family Sharing with Apple Music on Android - Apple Support

"How to start and manage your own family group

When you get an Apple Music family subscription, you can start and manage a family group to share your subscription. Just follow the steps below."

However, you won't have full control over Family Sharing features the way you would with an Apple device. It is theoretically possible to get access to AppleTV on Windows and Android with Family Sharing. The sharing would have to be set up on an Apple device but once a person has access to a subscription then Apple says that you can play Apple TV on Windows and Android by using a web browser.

How to watch Apple TV+, MLS Season Pass, and more - --> How to watch Apple TV+, MLS Season Pass, and more - Apple Support

Family Sharing on Apple TV --> Family Sharing on Apple TV - Apple Support

"You can’t initiate or configure Family Sharing directly on Apple TV. It must be done on a Mac, an iOS device, or an iPadOS device. To learn more about setting up Family Sharing, see the Apple Support article Set up Family Sharing."

Jun 29, 2023 10:56 AM in response to MustangMattTurbo

I don't know if this would work, but since Apple itself says you can set up Family Sharing with Android (I even quote what they say) in the context of using Apple Music, I don't know if that would be strictly limited to using Apple Music or if it would then automatically share other sharable subscriptions too (but you wouldn't have much access to the broader spectrum of Family Sharing features which require an Apple device). Apple doesn't say there are different kinds of Family Sharing. It would be an interesting proof-of-concept thing to try by taking out a subscription to Apple Music and see if your other subscriptions get shared too. If you do then let me know if it works or not. I have neither an Android, nor a PC, and do not subscribe to either service.

You could contact Apple and ask, but in my personal experience from going into stores and asking this kind of question you might not find anybody who has actually tried this and could tell you based on experience instead of just quoting Apple's documentation.

Jul 25, 2023 9:32 PM in response to MustangMattTurbo

Thanks for reporting back. It is encouraging to hear that you agree with at least what Apple's documentation says. It'll be interesting of somebody does eventually try the entire process. Apple does say that eligible subscriptions (eligible probably meaning family level) automatically shares items with other family members so there shouldn't really need to be any "management" to make it work, as long as the Android Family Sharing version hasn't been specially programmed to exclude that component (Apple does not say either way). "After you set up Family Sharing, eligible subscriptions are automatically shared with your family members."

Jun 27, 2023 9:20 PM in response to MustangMattTurbo

If you know somebody with a Mac computer and they can set up a user account for you then that would be the cheapest. Otherwise something used such as a computer, iPhone or iPad. Sine all you want it for is setting up accounts and management you could find something that would run El Capitan or higher, probably for a few hundred bucks at most. Maybe for as little as $50 since all you want is something that will run a browser. Just be careful if buying a used iPhone or something because it isn't unusual to find cheap ones that are likely stolen and won't work.

How do I setup family sharing from android?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.