Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple News+ introduces Quartiles, a new original spelling game, and Offline Mode for subscribers. Learn more >

Will I get a sales tax refund for an iPhone?

I recently bought a new iPhone here in the US as a tourist. Will I get a sales tax refund at the airport when I leave?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 28, 2023 3:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2023 6:57 AM

Francisco fp wrote:

Im not a usa resident and i allways get tax refunds when i puchase products online. I only have to show the exportation proof document.

You are not purchasing in the US then. You can not purchase an Apple product on a US web site and have the product delivered internationally. And if you are getting a tax refund, hopefully you are letting your country's tax authority so you can pay any and all import taxes assessed by your country. I think there is more to your situation than you are telling us.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2023 6:57 AM in response to Francisco fp

Francisco fp wrote:

Im not a usa resident and i allways get tax refunds when i puchase products online. I only have to show the exportation proof document.

You are not purchasing in the US then. You can not purchase an Apple product on a US web site and have the product delivered internationally. And if you are getting a tax refund, hopefully you are letting your country's tax authority so you can pay any and all import taxes assessed by your country. I think there is more to your situation than you are telling us.

Jun 28, 2023 7:05 AM in response to jdpe626

Obtaining a refund of sales tax - US Customs and Border Protection (CBP)

The US government does not refund sales tax to foreign visitors. Sales tax charged in the US is paid to individual states, not the Federal government. If you are making a ‘major purchase’, and you intend to export the item, you should contact the state taxation authority in the state where you will be making the purchase. They will be able to inform you of their criteria for refunding any sales tax paid.

Will I get a sales tax refund for an iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.