Why won't my iPhone ring since the last update?

Since the update to iOS 16.5.1 my phone will no longer ring! Is there anyone else experiencing this issue?

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 28, 2023 12:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2023 7:28 PM

I updated my iPhone and now it doesn’t ring, doesn’t alert me with texts either

74 replies

Jun 28, 2023 12:12 PM in response to Joalan56

FIRST: Are there missed calls in Phone/Recents on the phone? If they are not the problem is in the network, because the calls aren’t getting to your phone. Contact your carrier: 

• check with your carrier that they don’t have a local outage, and that you didn’t have any settings that would have immediately invoked voicemail, such as call forwarding.
  • check up on them at Down Detector - Crowdsourced outage checker

If they are in Recents here’s what to check:

• Check the MUTE switch on the left side of the phone, above the volume buttons. It should be towards the screen
  • Check the volume setting. With the Home screen displayed, press the VOLUME UP button on the left side of the phone. It’s above the VOLUME DOWN button.
  • Go to Settings/Phone. There’s a switch for Silence Unknown Callers. If it is on any calls from numbers not in your contacts will go directly to voicemail.
  • Also in Settings/Phone: Make sure Call Forwarding is off.
  • iOS 14 & older: Go to Settings/Do not Disturb. Turn it off if it is on. Also turn off Scheduled. With both off none of the other switches there matter.
  • iOS 15: Go to Settings/Focus, and verify that all focus settings are disabled.
  • iOS 16: Open the Control Center and turn off Focus.
  • Go to Settings/Sounds & Haptics. Make sure there is a sound assigned to Ringtone.
  • Go to Settings/Accessibility/Touch/Call Audio Routing and make sure Auto-Answer Calls is off.
  • Go to Settings/Screen Time/Communications Limits. Tap each of the 2 entries and make sure both are “Everyone"
  • Restart your phone-->Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
  • If all else fails, talk your carrier into replacing your SIM card (thanks to ASC user DShelbyD)

Dec 5, 2023 3:52 PM in response to Tommie Berry

Tommie Berry wrote:

I just updated to IOS 17.1.2 and my iPhone 12 Pro Max no longer makes audible rings.
It just vibrates when calls come in. Checked all the settings. How do I go back one revision?

17.1.2 Is it critical security update. I’m not sure what’s causing your issue, and I’m sympathetic to your frustration, but I would urge you not to attempt resolution by opting to expose yourself to a major security vulnerability.

Aug 20, 2023 7:52 AM in response to LaurenJ0519

LaurenJ0519 wrote:

Lol that’s ridiculous. Just cus all steps have been taken don’t mean someone has a broken phone. It could very well be a glitch with the carrier, the phone itself or whoever’s calling carrier, phone, etc.

LOL, the list INCLUDES glitch with the carrier, with whoever’s calling, etc. I guess you didn’t actually read the list before posting.

Dec 30, 2023 2:29 PM in response to Cliffsidejim

Well, the first response after the “Best Answer” (which isn’t a best answer, but that’s a separate issue). I’ll just repost it.

FIRST: Are there missed calls in Phone/Recents on the phone? If they are not the problem is in the network, because the calls aren’t getting to your phone. Contact your carrier: 

• check with your carrier that they don’t have a local outage, and that you didn’t have any settings that would have immediately invoked voicemail, such as call forwarding.
  • check up on them at Down Detector - Crowdsourced outage checker

If they are in Recents here’s what to check:

• Check the MUTE switch on the left side of the phone, above the volume buttons. It should be towards the screen
  • Check the volume setting. With the Home screen displayed, press the VOLUME UP button on the left side of the phone. It’s above the VOLUME DOWN button.
  • Go to Settings/Phone. There’s a switch for Silence Unknown Callers. If it is on any calls from numbers not in your contacts will go directly to voicemail.
  • Also in Settings/Phone: Make sure Call Forwarding is off.
  • iOS 14 & older: Go to Settings/Do not Disturb. Turn it off if it is on. Also turn off Scheduled. With both off none of the other switches there matter.
  • iOS 15: Go to Settings/Focus, and verify that all focus settings are disabled.
  • iOS 16: Open the Control Center and turn off Focus.
  • Go to Settings/Sounds & Haptics. Make sure there is a sound assigned to Ringtone.
  • Go to Settings/Accessibility/Touch/Call Audio Routing and make sure Auto-Answer Calls is off.
  • Go to Settings/Screen Time/Communications Limits. Tap each of the 2 entries and make sure both are “Everyone"
  • Restart your phone-->Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
  • If all else fails, talk your carrier into replacing your SIM card (thanks to ASC user DShelbyD)

Jan 23, 2024 8:58 AM in response to Joalan56

This morning, I updated my iPhone SE (3rd gen) to iOS 17.3. Then I tested the ring function by scheduling an automated incoming call. My phone does now ring.

I had forgotten what it sounded like…and how much I don’t really like when my phone rings. Lol.

In all seriousness- while there’s some truth to my jest (#firstworldproblem), I’m glad that this issue was fixed so that the full spectrum of incoming call notification options are again available to me.

Like many people, I had previously tested the set of routine troubleshooting steps recommended in this thread. Although they did not result in a successful resolution, that doesn’t mean I didn’t accomplish a lot in the troubleshooting process by working through them. Updating iOS was the only change introduced into the system between yesterday and today. So in my case, the iOS update resolved the issue.

I genuinely hope that I’m not an outlier case. I hope that investing the time to communicate my experience and the resolution will be useful. I think it’s too much to hope that 17.3 is going to be a silver bullet for everyone. As Apple discloses, the contents of updates vary from device to device and between geographical regions (I’m in the US).

edit: system = my phone…I’m a scientist and slipped into jargon

Why won't my iPhone ring since the last update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.