Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

My Apple ID payment method was declined and verification failed.

My pay e. Method was declined and verification declined

iphone 11

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 28, 2023 5:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2024 11:03 AM

I’m trying to download apps and when i try to verify it asks me for a payment method and in the past I have never needed one so I don’t understand why I need one now. But when I try to put in my payment method it says failed. I don’t have any subscriptions that i’m paying for with this card either. Someone please explain to me what’s happening because all of the stuff I try to download is free.

50 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2024 11:03 AM in response to Seriouslywhattheheck

I’m trying to download apps and when i try to verify it asks me for a payment method and in the past I have never needed one so I don’t understand why I need one now. But when I try to put in my payment method it says failed. I don’t have any subscriptions that i’m paying for with this card either. Someone please explain to me what’s happening because all of the stuff I try to download is free.

Jul 1, 2023 12:07 PM in response to Seriouslywhattheheck

A “payment declined” or “card declined" message means that the issuer of the credit or debit card you have on file in your iTunes account rejected a charge or account confirmation. It is not an Apple problem; Apple is just passing through the message from your issuer. There are a number of reasons the charge or verification might be declined:

• Apple is not allowed to accept credit or debit cards in your country
  • The card is not recognized in your country
  • Insufficient balance or account in arrears
  • Account suspended for suspected fraud (not necessarily by you)
  • Error in card number
  • Wrong expiration date
  • Wrong security (CVV) code
  • Address in your iTunes account does not match exactly the billing address for the card
  • The card was not issued in the country of the iTunes store
  • You are connected through a VPN provider that does not terminate in the country of the iTunes store you are connected to.

Here is additional information from Apple→If your payment method is declined in the App Store or iTunes Store - Apple Support

Mar 9, 2024 8:34 PM in response to Seriouslywhattheheck

I keep getting emails to say the payment was declined and I am asked to update the payment details but they have been charging the same card for a long time and I don't know why there is a problem. Anyhow, I called Apple and they told me to try to download a free app and it went through. The support person was confused because if the payment doesn't work, I shouldn't be able to download any app. They suggested that I added a second credit card to the account, so I did, but, I still got another email to say the payment for the iCloud subscription has been declined. I have been using that second card almost every day just fine. I think there is a bug in the Apple system. I am going to call them again on Monday to ask them to investigate for an error in their system.

Jul 1, 2023 12:07 PM in response to Seriouslywhattheheck

Hi, and welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: My payment was declined and saying verification

✽ If you haven't already : check you are signed in (to your iPhone) with your Apple ID:

Sign in with your Apple ID - Apple Support

✽ What to do: If a message says 'billing problem with previous purchase' or 'verification required' - Apple Support

✽ You might want to check that the payment method is one that Apple can accept in your country or region:

Payment methods that you can use with your Apple ID - Apple Support

More trouble-shooting:

✽ Re: "verification": If you have debated a charge from Apple:

you may need to request your card-provider to allow payments to Apple again.

✽ What to do: If your payment method is declined in the App Store or iTunes Store - Apple Support

If needed: you may need to add a new payment method before you can delete the old one

✽ How to add an Apple ID payment method:

Add a payment method to your Apple ID - Apple Support

✽ How to delete an Apple ID payment method:

Remove a payment method from your Apple ID - Apple Support

✽ How to change an Apple ID payment method:

If you need to change or update your Apple ID payment method - Apple Support

For more support / info / contact:

✽ Apple ID support website:

Apple ID - Official Apple Support

✽ Subscriptions and Billing website:

Subscriptions and Billing - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

Apr 6, 2024 12:06 AM in response to bailea177

if You have AT&T or any other little company associated with AT&T your apple account is just the start of it I recommend putting a fake card on there for them to have I have one that send me a text notification every time it’s declined so I can have proof of my apple account randomly trying to charge my card for my YouTube music membership that has always renewed faithfully for years on the 3rd of every month until last month when they started to try to change me on the 23rd and on the 27th of march 2024. As of April 1st 2024 I’ve now lost my Facebook account as well as control over my small business account that I had registered through goggle. 75million people were affected current customer or not from AT&T’s data breach that supposedly happened in 2019, I think it’s pretty odd that on feb 22 2024 they also had a outage of some sort where phones could only call an emergency # for almost exactly two hours and then here I am not even two months later being slowly erased off the internet!

My Apple ID payment method was declined and verification failed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.