Related Article: About the security content of macOS Ventura 13.4.1

Why did update 13.4.1 (22F82) put ALL of my files on the desktop?

This latest update 13.4.1 (22F82) put ALL of the files on my computer on the desktop. I still find files in other regular places also.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 28, 2023 5:36 PM

9 replies

Jun 29, 2023 10:51 AM in response to Michhope

Did you have iCloud Drive enabled before you ran the 13.4.1 update? If so then probably it got disabled during the update and all of the iCloud Drive's files were dumped on the Desktop.

If yo have a Time Machin backup made just prior to the update you can retire the Documents and Desktop folders to how there were before. I'd start with the Documents folder and then the Desktop folder.

Jun 29, 2023 10:31 AM in response to Michhope

Trying to find that file from yesterday was ridiculous. I finally had to open 20 screenshot files in Adobe PS to find the right one. In my finder window, the file for screenshots stopped in 2021. Recents were not recent and because I couldn't initially find the screenshot I tried to recreate it by taking everything out of the file I made called WTF only spelled out (that contained the mess from yesterday). Then I couldn't find that SS. I finally found them sitting somewhere in the mess on my desktop. This is crae! lol Oh yea, and my search of Mac Harddrive for the screenshot didn't show it - that only indexed until 2021.

Jun 29, 2023 11:00 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks but my external drive is down so I didn't make a Time Machine back up. My bad, I know but this is kind of how life is going for me right now, I'm getting used to rolling with the punches. Is there any other way to undo the update? If not I will delete the links and figure out the rest as time permits. I did have work done on my Laptop air a few days ago - the screen needed to be changed. Maybe he did it? I don't know, the UI was configured differently when I got it back. I didn't think anything of it. oh well, Ce La Vie!

Why did update 13.4.1 (22F82) put ALL of my files on the desktop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.