MAC address iPad Pro

I am confused. I am checking the list of "allowed" devices on my router Wi-Fi and see one MAC address I don't recognize.

I block the mystery device and immediately lose my iPad connection. The address I see on my iPad SETTINGS is NOT the same as the address I blocked on the router. How is this possible? What is best course of action?

Thanks

4th Gen

Model MY3J2LL/A

Firmware 4 02 01

iPad Pro (4th generation)

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 7:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 7:49 AM

Check to see if your iPad is using the WiFi Private Address feature (very likely).

This feature is intended to provide additional privacy and security when using “public” (untrusted) WiFi networks - and will use a randomly selected MAC Address instead of the actual burned-in MAC Address as relates to the iPad’s network interface:

Settings > WiFi > [Your WiFi Network / SSID] - tap the “i” icon - Private Address

The Private Address feature is largely unnecessary for your home WiFi network; if enabled, Private Addressing can cause issues if specific MAC addresses are expected by your WiFi Router. You may need to disable this feature - and can be enabled or disabled for each individual network.

Use private Wi-Fi addresses in iOS 14, iPadOS 14, and watchOS 7 - Apple Support

Be aware that filtering access to your WiFi network by way of a MAC Access Control List (ACL) is largely an ineffective control. MAC Addresses are easily spoofed; your MAC Address is transmitted “in clear” within every WiFi frame - and can be easily extracted by anyone within range of your devices or WiFi network.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2023 7:49 AM in response to leonfrombellevue

Check to see if your iPad is using the WiFi Private Address feature (very likely).

This feature is intended to provide additional privacy and security when using “public” (untrusted) WiFi networks - and will use a randomly selected MAC Address instead of the actual burned-in MAC Address as relates to the iPad’s network interface:

Settings > WiFi > [Your WiFi Network / SSID] - tap the “i” icon - Private Address

The Private Address feature is largely unnecessary for your home WiFi network; if enabled, Private Addressing can cause issues if specific MAC addresses are expected by your WiFi Router. You may need to disable this feature - and can be enabled or disabled for each individual network.

Use private Wi-Fi addresses in iOS 14, iPadOS 14, and watchOS 7 - Apple Support

Be aware that filtering access to your WiFi network by way of a MAC Access Control List (ACL) is largely an ineffective control. MAC Addresses are easily spoofed; your MAC Address is transmitted “in clear” within every WiFi frame - and can be easily extracted by anyone within range of your devices or WiFi network.

Jun 29, 2023 7:48 AM in response to leonfrombellevue

If you've encountered a situation where you noticed an unfamiliar MAC address on your router's list of "allowed" devices and decided to block it, but then experienced a loss of connection on your iPad, there could be a few possible explanations:

1. MAC address spoofing: It's possible that the mystery device you blocked was using MAC address spoofing, which means it was presenting a different MAC address to your router than its actual MAC address. As a result, when you blocked the unfamiliar MAC address, it may have inadvertently affected your iPad's legitimate connection.

2. Incorrectly identified device: There's a chance that you may have mistaken the unfamiliar MAC address for the iPad's MAC address. Double-check the MAC address of your iPad in the device's settings to confirm if it matches the MAC address you blocked on the router. It's important to ensure you're blocking the correct MAC address.

Considering these possibilities, here's a suggested course of action:

1. Unblock the blocked MAC address: If you've mistakenly blocked the wrong MAC address and it's causing connectivity issues for your iPad, unblock the MAC address on your router. This should restore the connection on your iPad.

2. Verify the MAC address of your iPad: Check the MAC address of your iPad in the device's settings to ensure it matches the MAC address you want to allow on your router. Compare it carefully with the MAC addresses listed in your router's allowed devices list.

3. Strengthen your network security: If you're concerned about unauthorized devices accessing your Wi-Fi network, consider implementing additional security measures. Change your Wi-Fi password to a strong and unique one, enable network encryption (such as WPA2 or WPA3), and review other security settings provided by your router.

4. Monitor network activity: Keep an eye on your router's device list periodically to check for any unfamiliar MAC addresses or devices. If you notice suspicious activity, you may need to investigate further or consider seeking assistance from your internet service provider (ISP) or network security professionals.

If the issue persists or you're unsure about the steps to take, it's recommended to contact your ISP or the manufacturer of your router for further guidance and support specific to your network setup.

MAC address iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.