Is it possible using a MAC address, IP address, or both to identify or locate any “unknown devices” logged into my home Wifi network?

Is it possible to look up & or locate what type of device & or the location (or both) of any “unknown devices” that log onto my home (password protected) WiFi network? That’ll help me to identify/locate if it’s any of my personal devices or if it’s a device that’s somehow “hacked” my password secured WiFi network? My AT&T smart home management app alerts me anytime a device joins my network new or previously connected device/devices & the only info it gives me is the MAC address & IP address on devices that are or have logged onto my network past or present….can I somehow use either the MAC or IP addresse (or both) to identify/locate what type of device/or the location of the device in order to help me figure out if there’s a device/someone that is NOT supposed to be from the device’s that are supposed to be on it, from devices that aren’t, so I know if I need to block/remove it or if it’s a trusted device… Bc I can’t always tell what is a trusted device & isn’t … (If that makes sense…I really hope it does…if it doesn’t I genuinely apologize 💯% 😞🤦‍♀️ ) PS…I don’t have a computer or access to one unfortunately, only have my iPhone for all this (not the easiest) search/downloading anything apps or otherwise, etc… that could help any advice or suggestions I’d GREATLY appreciate it!! 🙏

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 11:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 9:01 AM

1. MAC addresses are semi-permanent device identifiers of sorts (although they can be altered by the device owner, or automatically in a smart way by the OS*).
  2. IP addresses are usually handed out by your home network router, and usually have a temporary status. They may identify a device in the moment (if it is n.n.n.n now, then it was probably the same for the whole duration while connected), but it wouldn’t be reliable after disconnects, restarts, etc.
  3. Routers and management apps only know MAC addresses and IP addresses, anything else is ‘maybe’ at best.
  4. Neither MAC or home network IP have lookup beyond your personal documentation. There is no universal registry to access for that.
  5. Neither MAC or home network IP point to an actual location. The only thing known is if a device connects to your home network.
  6. Some router lists remember devices (idle connections), which may now also be listed as a new list item as well, effectively creating duplicates, when it isn’t recognized as ‘the same’.
  7. Change your Wi-Fi password, if you really think unauthorized access has happened. That does mean that each device will have to be reconnected using the new password.
  8. My router allows me to custom name devices, while it is also able to get a device name from select devices. I see and do this through the web access to the router, then Home Network﹥Network﹥Network Connections﹥, although that will likely differ a bit by brand and model of the router. It automatically seems to know the devices names from my Apple devices, but only the device kind for my TV provider box, and only the brand name for the TV.
  9. You should be able to disconnect unknown devices from the router, one at a time, again through the web access. If it is one of your devices that was disconnected, then that device would probably signal you with an error that it has been disconnected. That may help you compile a list for MAC addresses with known devices.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2023 9:01 AM in response to GalaxyGeek

1. MAC addresses are semi-permanent device identifiers of sorts (although they can be altered by the device owner, or automatically in a smart way by the OS*).
  2. IP addresses are usually handed out by your home network router, and usually have a temporary status. They may identify a device in the moment (if it is n.n.n.n now, then it was probably the same for the whole duration while connected), but it wouldn’t be reliable after disconnects, restarts, etc.
  3. Routers and management apps only know MAC addresses and IP addresses, anything else is ‘maybe’ at best.
  4. Neither MAC or home network IP have lookup beyond your personal documentation. There is no universal registry to access for that.
  5. Neither MAC or home network IP point to an actual location. The only thing known is if a device connects to your home network.
  6. Some router lists remember devices (idle connections), which may now also be listed as a new list item as well, effectively creating duplicates, when it isn’t recognized as ‘the same’.
  7. Change your Wi-Fi password, if you really think unauthorized access has happened. That does mean that each device will have to be reconnected using the new password.
  8. My router allows me to custom name devices, while it is also able to get a device name from select devices. I see and do this through the web access to the router, then Home Network﹥Network﹥Network Connections﹥, although that will likely differ a bit by brand and model of the router. It automatically seems to know the devices names from my Apple devices, but only the device kind for my TV provider box, and only the brand name for the TV.
  9. You should be able to disconnect unknown devices from the router, one at a time, again through the web access. If it is one of your devices that was disconnected, then that device would probably signal you with an error that it has been disconnected. That may help you compile a list for MAC addresses with known devices.

Is it possible using a MAC address, IP address, or both to identify or locate any “unknown devices” logged into my home Wifi network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.