Related Article: Make purchases using Apple Pay

Apple Pay returns

If I purchased an item using Apple Pay, then return the item, where will I see the refund?

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 9:16 AM

The delay is almost always on the merchant side. Refunds are generally batch processed by the merchant to minimize expenses and then sent to your bank via slowest ACH transfer method to minimize costs again. The upcoming holiday will slow transfers even more. I may be a week or more.

12 replies

Jan 14, 2024 9:24 AM in response to Lvope

Refunds are directly between the merchant and your bank. Apple is does not process or handle the actual funds. Depending on who the merchant was the time frame varies.

If the merchant is not Apple, refunds are usually completed in 5 to 7 business days and legally can take up to 30 days. If the merchant is Apple and you’re receiving a store credit, refunds are within 48 hours. If you’re receiving a funds into your bank account, 5 to 7 business days and, no longer than 30 days.

Jan 14, 2024 9:42 AM in response to Lvope

Again, the refunds are directly between the merchant and your bank. Apple and Apple Pay do not handle refunds or the transfer of funds. Apple has no information on your refund.

In my experience, delays are almost always on the merchants end. They may say they refunded the transaction, but the reality is the funds have not moved from their account. The Merchant’s bank will use a process call ACH (Automatic Clearing House) and this generally takes just 3 to 5 business days once the actual transfer is initiated. Business days do not include weekends and holidays. Legally, refunds must be completed within 30 days.

Apple Pay returns

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.