Macbook pro won't allow me to install antivirus software

I have a MacBook Pro, Apple M1 chip running Ventura 13.2. I un-installed Bitdefender to install Malwarebytes and now if won't allow me to install either program.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 9:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 10:18 AM

highflyer-__ wrote:
I do get notifications on this MacBook (not on my iMac) about virus and someone downloading from my system.

Those are Safari Notifications, and they're a scam. They might not even be generated by "McAfee", which is of course in the same category as all other non-Apple "anti-virus" junk.

Fix it. Go to Safari's Settings (or Preferences) menu > Websites > Notifications, and remove what you do not want — which is probably everything.

For reference: Change Websites settings in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Do not allow websites to send you Notifications unless you are 100% certain that you want that kind of harassment. Refer to Customize website notifications in Safari on Mac - Apple Support. Deselecting "Allow websites to ask for permission to send notifications" will prevent those websites from even asking your permission to be harassed by them. "Anti-virus" products do not help because browser notifications are part of the HTML5 standard. The reason for that eludes me.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2023 10:18 AM in response to highflyer-__

highflyer-__ wrote:
I do get notifications on this MacBook (not on my iMac) about virus and someone downloading from my system.

Those are Safari Notifications, and they're a scam. They might not even be generated by "McAfee", which is of course in the same category as all other non-Apple "anti-virus" junk.

Fix it. Go to Safari's Settings (or Preferences) menu > Websites > Notifications, and remove what you do not want — which is probably everything.

For reference: Change Websites settings in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Do not allow websites to send you Notifications unless you are 100% certain that you want that kind of harassment. Refer to Customize website notifications in Safari on Mac - Apple Support. Deselecting "Allow websites to ask for permission to send notifications" will prevent those websites from even asking your permission to be harassed by them. "Anti-virus" products do not help because browser notifications are part of the HTML5 standard. The reason for that eludes me.

Jun 29, 2023 9:30 AM in response to highflyer-__

This article should help:

Safely open apps on your Mac - Apple Support

However, I agree that no anti-virus or so-called "cleaning" apps should ever by installed on a Mac. I've been here over 20 years; in that time, the majority of serious issues I've helped address here were traced to useless AV and cleaning apps.

Most AV and cleaning apps were ported from Windows with little thought of what they would to do a Mac. One "cleaning" app ported to Mac from Windows had a nasty habit of identifying valid, critical Mac OS system files and deleting them!

MalwareBytes is a exception as it was developed by a Mac person who was very active here, and is not very intrusive. Its great strength is removing adware and "PUPs"—potentially unwanted programs. Yet you can avoid most adware by avoiding download hosting sites the promise "free" thinga that you know cost money through legitimate channels.

When you start throwing a bunch of fear-marketed "tools" at a Mac, it is like dragging a 1500-pound weight behind a 2500-pound automobile without a trailer. Only the fear marketers benefit.

Jun 29, 2023 9:54 AM in response to highflyer-__

I know it's fraud and generated by McAfee but how do I stop them,?

If you do not have McAfee installed, you probably have adware. Use the instructions in the Apple article I linked to install the free version of MalwareBytes and run it manually.

If McAfee is installed...EJECT it with extreme prejudice.

Remember, NO ONE—not even the minor deities on Mount Cupertino—can "see" what is or is not on your computer without your giving specific permission for remote access.

Macbook pro won't allow me to install antivirus software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.