Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Text Android on WiFi iPad

I purchased a Wi-Fi only iPad. I read somewhere that I can’t iMessage Android users from the Wi-Fi only iPad, but my question is, why can I text Android users from my MacBook and not my Wi-Fi only iPad? The MacBook is only connected to Wi-Fi, so why does it work on there and not my iPad?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2024 3:23 PM

I want to text someone but they have an Android and I have an iPad

28 replies

Jun 29, 2023 9:51 AM in response to akchau

Do you have an iPhone - or just an iPad? If exchanging messages with Android or non-Apple devices, you’ll need to use SMS/MMS messaging.

An iPad, whether a Cellular model or not, is not capable of directly accessing Cellular Voice or SMS/MMS Messaging features. An iPad with either WiFi or Cellular connectivity alone can only access IP-data services. If you have added a DataSIM and Cellular plan to a WiFi+Cellular model of iPad, the number associated with the SIM card is only used to identify your account for billing purposes. This number is not used for making calls or sending messages.

However, when paired with an iPhone, the capabilities of iPad significantly broaden to include access to Cellular Voice and Messaging services of the associated iPhone - relayed to the iPad over WiFi using Apple’s continuity features.

More information about Continuity and the relevant Cellular services can be found here:

Continuity

Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Apple Watch – Apple Support

SMS/MMS Messaging

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

If you have an iPhone - and both iPad and iPhone are signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID - to send SMS/MMS messages (green bubbles) from your iPad you must explicitly enable Text Message Forwarding for your iPad (and your Mac) on your iPhone...

On your iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to ON - and explicitly enable your iPad from the list of devices.

Also ensure that Messages in iCloud is enabled on both your iPhone and iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Messages - set to ON

Feb 2, 2024 8:18 AM in response to TobyDobie

TobyDobie wrote:

I have a new 11” iPad Pro and need to know how to do my settings to be able to send and receive texts to and from android devices.

An iPad, whether a Cellular model or not, is not capable of directly accessing Cellular Voice or SMS/MMS Messaging features. An iPad with either WiFi or Cellular connectivity alone can only access IP-data services. If you have added a DataSIM and Cellular plan to a WiFi+Cellular model of iPad, the number associated with the SIM card is only used to identify your account for billing purposes. This number is not used for making calls or sending messages.

However, when paired with an iPhone, the capabilities of iPad significantly broaden to include access to Cellular Voice and Messaging services of the associated iPhone - relayed to the iPad over WiFi using Apple’s continuity features.

More information about Continuity and the relevant Cellular services can be found here:

Continuity

Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Apple Watch – Apple Support

SMS/MMS Messaging

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

If you have an iPhone - and both iPad and iPhone are signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID - to send SMS/MMS messages (green bubbles) from your iPad you must explicitly enable Text Message Forwarding for your iPad (and your Mac) on your iPhone...

On your iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to ON - and explicitly enable your iPad from the list of devices.

Also ensure that Messages in iCloud is enabled on both your iPhone and iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Messages - set to ON

Nov 23, 2023 8:23 AM in response to akchau

My experience is that sending SMS using iPhone with message forwarding from iPad works randomly. Out of four different phone numbers, I managed to send an SMS from the iPad to only one using this method. The network provider of the delivery phone number confirmed the reported error that no error was found in the SMS reception.

Mar 19, 2024 7:30 PM in response to LotusPilot

I found this to find forwarding

Or set up Text Message Forwarding separately

If you're not using Messages in iCloud, or SMS/MMS messages aren't forwarding as expected:

1. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages.
  2. Tap Text Message Forwarding. (If you don't see it, turn iMessage off and back on, then tap Send & Receive and sign in again.)
  3. Tap to turn on each device that you want to allow to send and receive SMS/MMS messages from this iPhone.

Feb 26, 2024 6:45 AM in response to akchau

Great question.

IT IS possible to text any phone Android (or Apple) phone via the Google messaging app.

YOU WILL NEED a Google phone with a Google account.

**I'm not sure if this works with other Android phones.**

This allows you to use Google's messenger app on your ipad to communicate with your phone messages.

The app can be downloaded to your iPad as a link to your Google account which pulls the info from the Google phone.

Unlike Apple's iMessage platform, Google's messenger app does not store anything in the server or on your iPad. It will need to pull the information from your phone each time you use the app. This is a slight delay from iMessage while but hardly noticable.

Hopefully this somewhat answers you inquiry.

Text Android on WiFi iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.